Ski breakdown

bhs

• Baller

Does a ski breakdown or does it go through an inetial break in period and then maintian a flex pattern? The reason for my question is my ski partner tried the Fisher, basicly the same size as his 2002 D3, but could not get it to work. He hops back on the old D3 and skis better than he did on the Fisher. The reason he bought the Fisher is that we had onvinced him that his D3 was broken down and a new ski would help improve his performace. It seems to me that old D3 has a lot of life left in it. How would you know if a ski is brokendown and needs to be replaced?

• Baller
I don't know a bunch about breakdown as I have never owned a ski long enough to experience that! That said, I wish many times I would have held onto my D3 Custom X (as well as a Sixam 1.1 etc etc). Not being an expert in the course or on the bevel subject for that manner, I've been on a bunch of different sticks that I just had to try that probably at the time were not the best thing for me. Having been on the Fish for just one set I can't comment fairly other than it drops into the turn Schweet ala the F1. The bevels on the D3 Custom X among other things made the ski feel like it rode high in the water but was a little more work for me. Softer bevels I don't know. Others here with with talent/knowledge can clue you in on that. I just know it was more forgiving plenty fast and fun. 'If it ain't broke'...sometimes I try to fix it anyway or accellerate my learning curve the wrong way.

• Baller

Al, the 07' F1 Connelly drops into the turn like the Fisher because of sharper bevels that both skis share.  They both seem to ride/feel a tad deeper. Just my take after skiing both. Again, not an expert.

• Baller
Well Rookie. I just bought the 07 F1x Connely and I am feeling just that. Now I know how to tell everybody here (Portugal) the "technical" name for it.  I'm less than an expert...

• Baller
al, its easy to get frustrated with this sport but somedays are so amazing! Its like a light turns on  and things just come together. Seems like the expanses of time between those plateau's take forever. I'm still learning a bunch because at 53 years old I am a beginner (rookie) in the course. My pb is only 22/34  through the course just recently. Patience is my biggest problem not intensity. Hold on to that handle a little longer especially on your offside and let the boat pull it away from you. Just trust that the ski will come around and don't push with your heel. It will come around! Anyway don't mean to get off topic (ski break down) but I hope that helps al

• Baller

how sharp are the fisher bevels? i was under the impression it was a goode copy with a little different flex pattern and layup? goodes generally dont have sharper bevels, so does the fish really have 'sharp' bevels? am i right in thinking that it doesnt compared to some other skis?

however the radar, F1 and to a slightly lesser extent the monza do have sharp bevels.

• Baller

al, my bad you're right. must have been the slower boat speed that I started my first couple passes at on the fish that made it feel like it had more of a drop-in feel or bite. It smoothed out at the faster speed. a guy I met at Jodi's  just got the orange and said he did not feel like it bit at the finish of the turn like the yellow.