How much and how?

tsixam

• Baller

How much, how and how often do you ski?

I usually ski 2 sets 4 days a week. This year our boat broke in the beginning of May and we got it back in to the lake on 9/7. So I have only been able to ski less than once a week the whole summer. On Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday I skied 2 sets a day before our tournament on Sunday.  I thought I wasn’t near peak performance and my body was sore. But still I skied on my pb in one round and in the finals I skied 2 balls more than my pb. (Made it to the second place).

This makes me wonder, Do we (I) ski too much? What is the right amount of practicing? Should we practice in terms off High volume/ low intensity and Low volume / High intensity? Or is there any other way? How do you ski in off season and in tournament season?

Tsixam

• Administrators
I try to ski 2 sets 4 days a week. That has not happened as much in the last month but I think it is about right. The trick is to not ski more then two days in a row and got good people in the boat.

I ski whenever I can. In Mn, you cannot afford to let 1 day pass that you may waste. Come winter with 18 inches of ice, you tend to want to eat up every bit of warm water you can.

I ski 5-6 days per week, 1-3 sets per. I will try to take some days off prior to the big ones. I have found that if I skip a perfect day to rest, the next day will send 1 foot rollers down the course and I am forced to take 2. That sucks. Do not let calm water sit still if you have air in your lungs. If I was a superstar and ranked #1 in the world, I would actually have a routine.

• Baller
MN and MI weather must be identical.  Especially when you're skiing big lakes.  You ski all you can when it's not raining or windy.

• Baller

OH weather is not as bad as MN (obvious)...our season lasts from May through Oct...unless there is an early spring or indian summer the first and last months are dicey weather wise...I would need a drysuit for Nov & Apr.

My "locked" in times are Wed morning (2 sets), Friday evening (1-2 sets), Saturday morning (2 -3 sets), Sunday afternoon (2 sets).  I usually try to squeeze in one evening session in during the week.

I've only been in one tournament (my 2nd this week), so I don't have a routine established.

tsixam your question is interesting...the weightlifters dilemma - lower reps w/ heaver weight, or higher reps w/ lighter weight.

On the one hand, I do some of my best skiing after a day or two of rest (or running)...but on the other hand, I know (or believe rather) that I need X amount of passes to dial in my technique...and since this is my first full & serious season on the course, I've taken the approach I can't ski too much...besides - if I weren't skiing, I'd probably be watching TV!

Anthony

• Baller

High volume/low intensity maybe would be to ski a lot of easy back-to-back passes with emphasis on strength and to dial in technique. Then a couples of weeks before tournaments start the Low volume/high intensity period. Ski like in a tournament, until you fall or miss a ball and maybe then step back and work a pass or two trying to fix the problem that made you miss or fall. I think it might be a good idea to ski the lines down trying to get as many points as possible right from the dock, to get your self in tournament mode. Sometimes maybe you want to start at a shorter or longer line than you usually do, to get used, if it is necessary to change your starting line at a tournament.

Tsixam