Bravo HO

ktm300

• Baller
HO's description of the new A1 is the most informative I have ever read.  It actually provides useful information that helps us understand how the ski is different and why.  It clearly defines the goals they had in mind and how the shapes and construction were aimed at the goal.  When you read it, you will see that they had enough respect for the customer to talk about how it skis and why.  Thank you HO.  I'm getting one.

• Baller
It is ZO that comes in a Kool Aid packet.  The Monza is tried and true.  If you don't want to ski on an A1 in tournaments next year, you don't have to.

• Administrators

From what I have heard the A1 is a really good ski & looks very cool but seriously the text is just marketing. Someone writes well (B.F.H.D.). Nearly every factory is guilty of marketing over hype. I do think that they are trying to think out of the box but so is everyone else in the industry.

If you want to give credit to HO for something, it is that they waited until the ski was right before letting it out. From what I have heard they have been tweaking hard for more then a year.

• Baller

Pretty cool stuff!  HO has obviously spent a significant amount of time, energy and resources on this product.  I'm not certain what expertise Bob LaPoint brings to water ski design but I would assume that HO would not be putting his name on their product if they didn't have confidence in his abilities. 

That being said, I always judge a ski's worth by looking on the starting dock at Regionals / Nationals.  The day Goode is not the prominent ski at the M3/M4 starting dock will be the day one of the other manufacturers will have hit a home run.  I look forward to that day.

There can be no doubt Bob LaPoint is a master of tuning and
tweaking waterskis.  Long before we had
adjustable fins, Bob and his brother were experimenting with any idea or
innovation that came along. 

Nearly two decades ago I spent some time skiing with Bob in
Acapulco.  After the first two days he
told me there was something I was doing on my offside that he really
liked.  He was just recently divorced,
but I don’t think he was coming on to me. 
Later that day he asked if I minded if he filed on my ski a bit.  Who was I to say no?  The ski was a 67†O’Brien Competitor, and I
can remember to this day watching the strings of filings curl off my bevels as
he filed away on it.  After he worked
that ski over the most amazing thing happened. 
He got sick. 

I don’t mean “ooooh, my tummy hurts a little sickâ€ÂÂ.  We’re talking doubled over, night sweats,
blowing out both ends, sleeping on the bathroom floor sick.  It lasted about three full days for
him.  Not that I kept too close track of
his recovery, since I got that same sickness the next night.  Freezing cold, all the spare blankets in the
villa piled on me, blowing out both ends, quick get me a pen so I can write my
last will and testaments sick. 

Then it started to rain. 
Rain and rain and rain.  Didn’t
stop raining for almost a week. 

On the third day of my illness I was finally alive just enough
to risk getting more than three steps away from a toilet.  I went down to the veranda, where Bob was
sitting – he was fully recovered now - at the breakfast table.  So I sat down with him and watched him eat
breakfast.  At one point he looked at
me, rolled up onto one cheek and let out a glorious fart.  He said, “I’ll bet you wish you could do
that.â€Â  I went back to bed. 

I got over being deathly ill just about the same time the
rain stopped and my plane left Mexico.  The
next chance I had to ski on that ski was four months later, so I have absolutely
no idea what effect Bob’s filing had on the ski or my skiing. 

But there can be no doubt Bob LaPoint is a master of tuning
and tweaking waterskis.

TW

Didn't quite catch the point to the previous post. That one flew over me. Back to the rocket propellant. Anyway, I have been told that all of the skis were going to be a little wider and have a tighter inner radius on the concave. Anyone in the know?

• Administrators

"All the skis" is never true about anything. There is some creative thinking going on but trends are really hard to spot. Ski mostly look like they did 10 years ago but they do not ski the same. The differences are generally subtle.

• Baller
I think there will be fewer dayglo orange this year because every other manufacturer has stepped up their game.  I think i could get on any of the top skis and be within a few bouys of the other.  It just comes down to personal feel.  MS  whatch out for the HO rocks comments, i may have to exhert my policing power and put you on probation,  you got your ticket to shreveport for july.  our lake is bitchin.

On another ski related note, I spoke to a guy who skied on Parsons short/fat Goode this spring.

After a few sets, he offered Nick 5k for the ski. He turned him down. He then offered up his credit card and told him to charge him whatever he wanted for the ski. He turned him down and siad that it is top secret and no way.

I think we will see GOODE blow us away with the next generation ski soon.    

• Administrators
Yes yea. The whole industry knows and is looking. Warp, Fat ski, whatever. I do not see any huge jumps. All the skis are gotting better a little at a time. The RS-1 looks to be a big step past the the MPD, the RCX is better then the RC and the RC is better then the Nomad, the 08 Monza is way better then the old Monza and so on  . . . The 9800 is a lot better for some skiers then the 9700.

• Baller
I agree w/ Ward - given time on any of the high end skis, I would be within a buoy or two of where I am on my 9800.  The issue is consistency.  I'm not looking for an additional 4 buoys out of a ski.  Just keep me at my current pace on a consistent basis and that will allow me to creep my buoy count up.  My complaint w/ the 9800 is my inconsistency when I ride it.  I know it's not the ski but if I can't be consistent on it, then it is not serving me (my style) well.