Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

New D3 Z7 - Anyone ride one?

skibug

• Baller
Need I remind everyone that basically Radar has started this trend with the Senate-C. IMHO, ski design is now going in the right direction. I ski both the Senate and the Theory. While the Theory is a bit soft, if you ski it without loading the line you can run 38 off and better. However, you cannot load it. It will surely buckle you. Senate-C is an awesome ski. These other manufacturers have tweaked what the Radar Senate has started. I believe there will be some broken records this summer with these wider surface area skis.

• Baller

I completely agree. Goode snowed everyone into thinking fast, twitchy, and dead stall at the end of the turn was the way to go for years. Now these guys are putting their heads together and doing it right. And I agree onthe Senate C. It's the best ski I've ever been on for half the price.

• Baller

What is the setup on the Senate C that seems to be a good starting point?

I bought a 69" last year and the stock fin settings left the ski hanging out on the offside turns.  Adding length really didn't help much and hurt onside, so I tried the standard Goode fin (more belly on it like me) and that worked better, but still not the same pizazz that my old 9500 has.  Ended up running the fin pretty deep 2.530 range, and over 6.920 on length (Goode method).

Running 34 mph, and could only get 3 or 4 at 35 off, but can go deeper on my 9500.

Suggestions?

• Baller

Hey scotchipman can you help me out here,I am Interested in the Factthat your brother tried the Goodewide Ride and the Z7, after being onthe Sixam 2, I was on a Orange Fisher but it was to stiff for me, Justcould not get on with it or though awsome ski when you got it right(Gonna Have toSell It) ,So I went back to my Sixam 2, still looking fora replacement.

Did your brother think that the Goode Wide Ride or Z7 was that much of an improvement on the Sixam 2

I rode a 67 Z7 last monday after I tried a set on the RCX.

I felt that the RCX was squirly and wanted to hunt for edged on my pull outs. It felt ok and I ran a few 35s, but after the ride, its not somthing that would get me off my ski.

I put the Z7 on and from my gate pull out at 28off, I felt that the ski was great. It was really stable and felt close to my A1 as far as speed and comfort. I ran right down to 35, ran another and then tried 38. I could not get the ski to turn like my A1 at 38, but with a few more sets and some tweaks, I could make the ski work fine. The Z7 is wider then the Rcx at the front binding holes, but then follows the RCX shape to the tip of the ski. I loved the ski and if things do not get better with my ride soon, I will try one out for a while. 

I tried the S1 this week and the ski is a rocket compared to the A1. It sits lower in the water at the tail, but tip stays up top. The back of the S1 is rounded and narrower then the A1. You have to have the wing on 9. The ski just wants you to be aggressive, do not sit back and just ride this ski. I only took one set on it and this was on day 9 of skiing at least 2 sets per day.      

• Baller

Thanks for the reply, Just getting back into 28' @ 55 KPH 175llbs 5'6", coming back after three years with a back injury, thought it wasall over , until some faith healing lady said she could sort it, soundscrazy, she laid hands  on  me twice & fixed it, back tothe skiing, I was very interested in the Goode Wide Ride , I have somereservations about some aspects regarding the purchase of Goodewaterskis, I live in the UK, as great as they are , do I need theHassle, the answer is No , but I do not want to get into that debate ,or though I have been told by a respected Pro that at very shortline inrough water the Wide Ride is like riding a surfboard any comments onthat would be appreciated.