Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Anyone skiing with a knee brace?

Jim Neely

• Baller
My left rear knee is so unstable that I have injured it the last two weeks without a major fall. On Tuesday this week I twisted it without falling, just crossing the wakes out of position. Anyone wearing a knee brace when you ski? Any recommendations?

• Baller

I ruined a knee totally some years ago and after the rehab I’ve got the orthopaedic technicians (the right word?) to make me a knee brace in hard plastics.  It was extremely stable and I could ski with it just as well as before. I have also tried neoprene knee brace but it did not do much for stability but it kept the knee warm and added some support. There were no problems to ski with it except the tendency it had to not stay in place. Good luck!

Tsixam

• Baller
I dislocated my front knee back in 2000; I have no MCL, no ACL and about 30% of both meniscuses are gone.  I’ve been using a custom CTI brace from Ossur without any problems.  CTI is used by a number of the wakeboard pro's.

Larry -----<|

• Baller

I totally dislocated my front knee last February. Have a cadaver ACL and LCL. I started skiing 2 weeks ago with a BREG X2K brace. It's very comfortable and totally supportive. Can't even tell it's on !

Matt

• Baller
I destroyed my left knee in college. No cartilage left and three ligaments retied to bone. No problems till this winter when I tweaked it falling on the ice. Wearing a neoprene sports brace now but still crush more than I would like. It does help some though.

• Baller
I've been skiing with a CTi from Ossur for over 10 years. Had a partially torn ACL from wakeboard 360 while turning 44 but acting 14 according to my wife. Avoided surgery due to reasonable stability. No injuries since then with lots of snow and water skiing. Very comfortable and well worth the $500-1000 for a custom prescription level brace to stabilize and protect since 6 months recovery from a re-injury and/or surgery would suck.