Antique & Technology

thager

• Baller
Found and bought an old 68" wood ski on EBAY. Has not had bindings or fin mounted. I have enough surplus bindings, fin boxes. and fins laying around that I thought I would experiment a little. Am planning to mount Hardshells/3M , adjustable fin box, and one of Johns Carbon fins with a wing and see what I can run on this thing just for fun. May even experiment with some sandpaper too. Might learn something? Anyone done this? I have a theory that there are a lot of older skis out there yet that could really surprise you if tweaked properly with some modern hardware! Thoughts??

• Baller

Thager, I'll be bummed if you don't do it and report back to us. Or take the thing to Nationals when you get it dialed. Technology has changed but the way the water interacts with the ski hasn't. For a fair trial, use your first string boots and your favorite fin settings. I bet you're surprised.

Although Richard might be right about those last two buoys...

Eric

• Baller

Richard,

I did my Tourney PB 2 years ago behind a Mastercraft 197 with PP.(3.5 @ 12.00/ 34.2 mph)  Haven't been close since ZO so this year I'm not going to waste my money. I refuse to buy a new boat to get ZO as my daughter is off to college in a few years. For now I ski just for fun and fiddle to learn. My RS-1 is set up and ready to go. I'm just very curious what new tech will do to an old plank. I still remember trying a half dozen identical boards before selecting one to buy that worked best. We knew nothing about fin tuning etc. back then. Dave Saucier came out with fiberglas skis and we learned a little about destructive tuning. Schnitz gave us fin tuning and bindings have gone to hardshells. We'll see?   Eric. Ski arrived today. Is supposedly a 60's Burbank Slalom. No screw holes, Not even a fin slot cut yet. I will post some shots when set up.  

• Baller_

Don't get me wrong, I didn't intend to come off as negative.  Skiing is about having a good time, and spending quality time with people you like.  For some it's tournaments, for others it's free skiing on open water.  The important part is the good time had by all.  Who knows, maybe powershells and a dialed fin will make that wooden stick come to life.  Shoot a video and post it for all to see how much fun you guys are having - that'll be cool to see !

• Baller

Richard,

Didn't think you negative at all. I actually got a chuckle from your post! Strange this year without tourneys to get ready for. I no longer get uptight when I can't ski. Family likes me better and on Tuesdays I usually go to a friends lake to free ski with a bunch of people in a 97 SN and have a blast. I still have the bouy sickness, it's just is more under control. 

MS, You missed a great session last night!!! 

• Baller
I think the biggest problem with the older skis is flex.  Most of them are to soft, but I did ski on a Maha a couple of years ago that was the stiffest ski I had ever ridden.  You could put it between two chairs and jump on it and it wouldn't flex.  I actually ran deep 35 on it with stock fin and bindings.  The ski was supper fast, but wouldn't turn for crap.  It had so much speed you could make up for the turns.  I think an adjustable fin, and maybe a wing would have made that ski a contender.  I have thought a couple of times about getting one and skiing some tournaments just to make some people mad.

• Baller
Those were the original air core skis(no foam or honeycomb). Maha advertised them with a two ton truck balanced on them between cement bricks. With the right fin I'll bet you could get it to turn adequately. Thought I saw one on Ebay last night advertised as a stiffski.