RS-1 Binding System

Roger

• Baller

I've been on the RS-1 system for more than a year now and I'm very satisfied to say the least.

Pros:
1) Totally comfortable. I can put them on when the previous skier leaves the dock and I don't care how many passes he makes.
2) Very adjustable. You can rotate each binding, move the rear closer or further from the front and adjust the position of the plate on the ski by half hole increments.
3) Can't pre-release. Since the eject mechanism is the liner leaving the shell with the shell securely attached to the ski, you have no pre-release worries.
4) Release when expected. I have taken pretty much every type fall I've ever taken on rubber on these including the dreaded over the tip offside stall. In each case, I've released without issue where damage might have been done to my body. On other types of falls, I've either stayed all the way in or come all the way out. Exactly what I want in a releasable system.
5) Support from Radar. Incredible! I had the early thinner plate, they sent me a new plate free. I have a Fischer which uses metric screws and the original threaded offsets would not work; they sent me new threadless offsets. Not only that, they sent me (via the dealer) spare elastics and spare elastic pull knobs.
6) Longevity: Except for the offsets (bushings), there is very little wear. The boots themselves look nearly new. The liners are still in excellent shape. The elastics are good for at least a year I'd say. The offset bushings are probably good for 4 months if you turn them 90 degress after two months.

Cons:
1) The only real con for me is that the offsets wear over time as the plates slides back and forth on them when the ski flexes.

I finally ran out of the offsets Eddie sent me last year and contacted Radar to order a dozen (seems like I got enough free stuff). Eddie responded directly asking for my mailing address and today I received a small bag of replacement offsets and screw washers at no charge.

What else can I say. I ski easily as good as I did in my rubber bindings and feel that I'm much safer and a whole lot more comfortable!

• Baller
Hey Roger - after a year, how long is the witness mark from the plate sliding over the offsets?  I.E. how much is the ski flexing at the attachment points? 

• Baller

Horton, I've had Green Superfeet in mine from the start. I put them in for volume, but of course they're even more comfy to stand on than just the liners.

GMC, I just brought the ski and and measured the witness marks at 3/16" at both the front and back.

I couldnt be happier with mine... I have superfeet in as well... great binding system. My only complaint is that the black plastic thingys at the end of my laces are busting off.

As for sizing - I wear a size 8 shoe.... went with a 9 in the RS1 as my toes were crunched in the 8's....

• Baller

My feet are pretty narrow and 10 1/2 also. I could not wear the size 10 as my toes were too tight against the liner. The 11 was a good fit length wise, but my foot did not fill the binding enough so that I had to pull the elastics so tight that there was no elasticity left in them (bad). The solution was the Green Superfeet I took from my snow ski boots and dropped into the RS-1 liners. This is very comfortable and allows pulling the laces down just past snug and plenty of elasticity left for ejection.

I'm sure any dealer would send you a set and then exchange them if the size is way off for you.

• Baller
Roger- Great original post.  The one thing missing from it though is a performance analysis.  Can you (or JTH or anyone else) provide some input on how they ski relative to other binding sytems out there?

• Baller

I agree with Horton. When you first get on them, they're "twitchy" from side to side with front to back being similar to the stiffer rubber bindings (Obrien Bio in my case). I found both the Goode and Fogman systems to be more twitchy in both directions when I tried them.

I believe the transition from rubber to hard shell is easier with these (the new FM E series is probably about the same from what I can see). The other hardshell systems probably take a bit longer to get totally comfortable with (in terms of skier input transferred to the water).

There are a handfull of people who have tried them and didn't like them. You can find those posts in the original RS-1 threads on this forum. The vast majority though seem to like them once adjusted.

I don't believe any boot system is totally safe. After all, we are in a moving sport and sometimes things move in the wrong direction. However, after trying several of the systems and doing an analysis of how they release, I'm convinced that this system, when worn correctly, is very safe. After taking  a close look at how the new FM E series releases, I'd say that's another good candidate for a positive release without pre-release issues just to be fair.

• Baller

FM E-Series Rock!!!  Didn't try the RS-1; but, I didn't experience the "twitchiness" from the FM's in terms of lateral stiffness.  Probably due to the ankle cuffs.  IMHO they are safer than then any rubber boots.  I don't have a frame of reference from a hardshell perspective since these are the first (and last) that I have tried.

Shane,

When you say you can lift your heal if needed, do you mean that liner will lift out and allow your heal to move? Or does your heal just lift in the liner?

I'm an overweight and slightly inflexible skier (I'm working on both of these slowly), and I know I put a lot of pressure on my rear binding during starts because my body just doesn't want to bend that way very well. In most of my bindings I find that I regularly have to tighten all the screws holding the binding to the plate or have to straighten out severely bent plates. The current bindings I am on, I have broken the rear binding twice due to this pressure on the rear binding. While I am skiing I can feel myself lifting my heal a little bit at times but I know most of the time the strongest forces are coming during my starts. I have been seriously considering hardshells and if the RS-1 can handle this pressure during the starts then I may be ordering some new bindings soon.

Hi,

Anyone tried the RS-1 and NOT liked it? I have skied with the RS-1 for about 30-40 sets and ski really bad. I tried on both the Prophecy and the A1. Similar problem on both skis. The ski is finish the turn a little to hard, makes me come back on the ski. This makes me pulled up before the first wake, causing bodycrush at the wake and very narrow for the next buoy. Thought it first was the A1 so I tweaked both bindings and fin in all possible direction. Finally I decided to try the Prophecy again, with the same symptoms. I thinking maybe the front to back movement ability maybe is not a good thing for me.

I will try my Approaches to see if this theory is true, but it would be intresting to hear if anyone else has experienced the same.

Besides I ski like a bag of garbage, the RS-1 are great:-)

• Baller

I did not care for the RS-1's.

I'm a -15/34mph skier...was on the MPD & Wiley's last season. Switched to RS-1's mid way through the summer and went downhill in a hurry. Should have switched back, but after investing all that $$$ I kept trying to make it work.

That said, I loved the comfort, feel, and construction...I just think they were a bit too advanced for me. I don't fault the manufacturer, I fault my technique. Perhaps when I can flex my front ankle and let the ski finish the turn on my offside, I will be ready.

• Baller

There have certainly been a handful of skiers who didn't like them for one reason or another. When you say you tried various settings, can you be more specific? If the ski is finishing too hard on both sides and you think it is binding related, then you should move both binding back (move plate back) a hole at a time. Most people I've seen tend to miss-measure the RS-1's and mount them too far forward anyway. You might also try seperating the rear from the front by one hole (assuming the rear is right up against the front). This helped me a lot.

It may turn out they are just not for you, but I would think you could solve the symptom you describe regardless of the binding system...

Roger,

I tried moving bindings backwards. I meassure at the stitches. If anything, I think maybe my foot are a little bit more separated than they was when I used Approach.
I really like the system and really want it to work, but I get kind of frustrated here. Haven´s skied this bad and inconcistent in 5 years. But I am also aware that I might not be on the right ski. Skied a 05 Monza until last year.

BTW, I really like this forum:-)

• Baller

This weekend I saw the worst ski crash I have seen in a year; i thought he was going to be airlifted out. The skier was riding a RCX using the RS-1 boots.

He was at 32-off at 36mph, turned 2 ball and was pulling to three. The exposion was behind the boat and he released(?)or something. The boat immediately whipped around him to see what kind of shape he was in as his ski looked like it crumpled and boots/stuff was flying everywhere. Amazingly he was ok.

SkiDawg might have a real play by play as he was in the boat and the same one that had to fish him out of the lake.

• Baller
It was the coolest crash ever, fell back on the tail out of two, launch (airborne) off the wake (a bit off axis) caught tip-full blown yardsale explosion.  Both feet came out of boots.  Classic, wish i had vid.

What is the point about these boots?  Frankly, we have seen two of exactly these wrecks between the two and three ball on Goode Powershells with two different people.  In one case, we did call for an airlift.  Do you think it was the boots, the ski, the skier?  I am curious because I am in the process of adding the RS-1's to my lineup.  My son also is skiing on RS-1's.  I think my conclusion is that these things can happen, you just want to make sure that you can come out for the really bad one, which it sounds like he did.  Was the release justified and predictable?  The big concern about the Goode powershells in my neck the woods is the possibility of the unjustified pre-release.  Call me captain obvious, but your comments about the RS-1's made me want to ask for more info. (just sayin....Smile)

• Baller

I actually had a near exact simliar crash like the one SkiDawg and I witnessed a year ago but I was wearing Powershells. They released exactly as they should. i walked away from it with a black eye and a minor concussion. My legs/knees/ankles were the most secured/safest part of my body as my left fist hit me in the eye. If i was wearing the RS-1 boots, I would be worried about my ACL's.

I've never had a pre-release using 400-250 combo, vertical and horizontal pieces of tape on the ski. My plates not bent/bowed/torqued as that can affect pre-releases. Especially on a 5 year old aluminum plate......

• Baller

I just had a crash around 3ball last week, I definitely think they should have released but they didn't. "the RS-1's" So now I'm setting here waiting for my ski tec system to arrive, and my ankles to heal. Not a good time of the year for this to happen! Oh, I actually ripped the rear binding, all five inserts and all off the plate. No release, and the lases weren't tight, and the liners were molded. No Thanks!!!!  

• Baller

Jacke,

I would give your old bindings a try on the A1 to rule that out then decide if you should spend some more time on the RS-1s.  I made the switch from an 05 Monza to an A1 and within 3 sets I was running my regular line lengths and I am about the same ability skier as you.  Once you figure out of the ski works for you then you can try the new bindings.  I usually try to change only one thing at a time.

I use the RS1's and during a July 4th tourney I blew out the tail of the ski at 3 ball -32. Never felt a thing during the release.

Several people ask if I was OK because the way it looked. I haven't blown out a tail in a long time and wasn't expecting it when it happened, almost landed on top of the ski. Released just fine for me.

• Administrators
The easy mistake with the RS-1 bindings is to over tighten them. I wear mine so I can pull my ski off without loosening the laces. At the end of every ride I simply pull on the tip of the ski to get out of the bindings. In reality that is not “super loose”, it is just snug. Like with ANY system if you over tighten them they will not release.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

One of the things I liked about the Wiley's or the HO 98 ? was that they were no brainers; just shove your foot in and go. I know several skiers that were die hard for the 98s and, now with animals, just set the laces and never move them. 

This gives me the thought of removing the slider on the upper laces, tying a knot, and just retying periodically to account for lost elasticity.

• Baller

I have been in RS-1s since february/march of 08 and am extremely happy with the results. I only needed 2 sets to adjust to them from Animals which i had been on for 8 or so seasons. The control and response they provide is exponentially better than soft rubber bindings. I have gotten much more consistent at -35 @ 36mph even though the quality of my training conditions have gone down and have had fewer than 10 days with access to a course for the summer due to a central Texas drought. I have only been in one crash where the bindings possibly should have released since i have been on them, and both feet stayed completely in them. I do run the laces as tight as is comfortable and feel confident as long as either both feet stay in or both release.

I did have quality problems at first, buckling two of the thinner plates and and pulling the inserts out of the rear binding when the first plate buckled. Radar was great in having the local dealer replace both plates and binding immediately. I have also had issues with the plastic fasteners on the lower laces breaking which was easily solved by swapping for the fasteners from my animals. I switched to a new front binding yesterday due to some dry-rot in the heel of my original that i have had for almost a year and a half, which i find acceptable since that is about as long as any of my animals were able to survive. Otherwise, everything is in great condition.

Tried to go back to the Approaches. About the the same result, 2@13m/58km/h, slightly better skiing but far from good.
Feels frustrating and confusing. Will give it a couple of more sets, then try my Approach on the Prophecy if it still doesn´t feels ok.
But the season in Sweden is almost over, at least the good part of the season and I am far from last years form.

I would pay big bucks for a ski setup that works like the old Monza.....If I only could figure out what it would be