Skis

miski

Is there anything that would make one better than another for getting -22' & -28' down more consistently?

I have been on a 2005 Sixam 1.0 for the 2 years I've been skiing buoys and have not been on another ski for a long long time.

I've always thought I don't need to worry about the ski at my level - just need to get my skiing down. And, when I ski my best, it all feels good - but that is maybe 20% of the time. The rest of the time I get out of shape and dumped in the water so much that I don't think I learn anything.

Would my ski be considered forgiving or are there better pieces out there for this level?

• Administrators
Skis get better EVERY year but if you have a Red and Blue Sixam.... that is one of the best skis ever. If you are looking for forgiveness you might try an X5. Besides that .... ski more and ski with skiers that know more then you do.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

It's the black & gray sixam.

I'm skiing better than last year, and only limeted by how often my aches/pains let me ski - 3-5 times per week, maybe avg 7-8 sets/week. Only 2-3 "good" sets per week though. Ski partners vary - all better than me, some really good - but mostly just 2, skier/driver, so coaching is limited.

Working on getting video...

2006 Sixam 1.0  -  67.5"

Front         DFT:         Deep:       Long:       Wing:       Leading Edge:

30.195      0.8          2.505        6.865          6               7.665

5'11", 175lbs, LFF

34mph, -22'

miski

Try a Sixam 2 point. Seriously, an under rated stick. I have a 2006 Black/grey that I keep going back to. I am struggling with the SS, when I'm on the case it's great, otherwise spend most of my time having swimming lessons.I found the Z7 ok but still didnt light the fire. I tried the  the Elite (demo)at the weekend,loved it, but in current times out of my budget. Or so the wife says.

I Skied with a world rank top 30 skier recently, he saw me run all 3 skis, at best ran 13 on all three, verdict, I was more consistant on the 2 point. The ski is far more forgiving than people give it credit. It looka a bit ordinary (try and get a blue one..our intergalatic leader has them for sale!! Robin B'stard@ ballofspray.com I believe is the contact detail) But! It will give you more time on the water.

Good luck

Roberto 

Miski

Yes , just try it. 

I am running super animal feet (RFF) + rtp.

29 7/8". 

2.510 depth,  wing @ 7Deg

I am 165lbs.

Easy first pass, then forget the ski and concentrate on skiing. It wont bite!

Good luck. Tell us how you get on.

R

i just got a 67.5 sixam 2.0 in here. silver top, new. I was not planning on riding it actually, but i am losing the ski center/balance on short ropes with the A1. Very dicey, pickup the speed or I thought more surface area would open the envelope around the turn a bit more.

So setup the 2 & tried it today in lumpy water. It's a really cool board. Lots of support but does not feel big. felt great. trying it in the course tomorrow am.

I setup a skier on a 69" 2 pt. earlier this year CR fin, fin box and he's been just rippin' it.

• Administrators

I rode the 2 Point for a season. To me its strong point is that how darn forgiving it is. I do not think it is in the same league as the SS or the A1 if you are talking about skiing past the green loop at 55k. When pushed the Two got me into and then out of trouble….. I would rather not have had the drama to begin with.

I skied the following season on a stiff SS and have to say that may have been my most consistent year ever.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

Chef,

Don’t freak about the A1. It is a great ski. The buzz is down on it right now because last year everyone was so high on it. Honeymoon effect. Toe Side turns on the A1 are unreal. Get on your front foot for heel side and you are MONEY!

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Thanks John I am still getting used to the ski so I am not panicking.  I do love the toe side turns.  I was struggling last week with the heel side but I skied much better this morning.  I think I was just tired from too many days (12/14) in a row.

I took numbers straight up off the FM Workbook program for a 69 ski 220 lber and fast water. I don't remember the exact #'s. fin area 11.980, boots 31 ??

The A1 is a fast ski ha ha .. seriously I think A1 design is very quick side to side. The ski feels amazing and the turns are good. I can't quite get the turns at this moment I need to hook-up on short ropes. There is also the issue of sink/stall that i am going to run into know matter what the ski. The sixam has a different rocker - pretty much continuous. So you know what that means - she turns! but I would say the ski (say a 1.1) does not seem to be as explosive side to side. but heck our course skis so short that one turn after another is not a bad thing.

I took the 2 point in for a couple of passes before straining my hip abductor? again. (I put my fin a few thou deeper on the A1 Sunday and that increase in line load injured my back hip). Anyway I noticed with the 2 point this morning I could with its increase platform size, counter much more through the turns. Much like free skiing with those big HO's. But it still had very good course performance. I can't say how well it will do at 35+ because I was forced to stop there.

i have nickname for the Sixam 2 pt. it's "breezy". top down, radio on, cruising, oh wait a second, i'm slalom skiing. ran 4 passes with it today, feet up, remote in hand. lulled myself to barely getting out the gates.

i miss the wilder adrenalin junkie jetfighter of the 36 mph ski so I am going back to the A1 tomorrow.

Also ordered an Elite. I rode the Warp for a month and with that ski it was like you didn't even have a ski. boots and water.

Skied it - liked it - probably will keep it....   I pasted ski log below.

JH - is it possible that the year on the 2.0 got you dialed for the follow on year on the SS?

One question - I set ski up identical to 1.0 (w/in .001-.002" on all numbers), but the ski tip label says 67" !!  Standing the skis up side by side, it is .5" shorter.  Everything on internet including Obrien site lists only 67.5"....   what gives?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 

First pass on new demo Sixam 2.0.  I’m looking for more forgiving ski for my current level of skiing.

Setup ski w/ identical numbers to Sixam 1.0, but I need to figure out if this is correct. The ski is labeled 67†not 67.5â€Â, and side by side, the 2.0 looks .5†shorter. Couldn’t find numbers or info on 67†2.0, so went ahead and skied…

>> First set – first pass was pretty good. Skied at 33mph to take a little edge off and give my brain a little extra time in pass. Ski feels much more solid in turns, but does turn hard at top of turn. Arcing out to buoy seems more stable and slower turning – maybe this is slower roll that some people talk about – but then at the ball it turns fast and comes back under me really nice.  If I get back on the tail, the tail feels hard/solid – maybe less slide than on 1.0???  This seems to make it easier to get back forward on ski w/o wheelying or falling out the back – do not go so far down course waiting for tip to reengage and gives you a chance to make up for error. Ski feels slower over all, but if you finish turn in good position it gets across wake fast. Think slow feeling may be more from slower roll.

Looking at video, I was not staying open finishing turns – reaching back for handle early. This stops turn for and ski goes down course for a few feet while I continue to fall in towards wake and back from boat. Ski eventually starts turning again and finishes well, but I have to work to get it back forward and have more lean & load than I need. I think this ski will be really nice when I get the open finish going again.

>> Second set on Sixam 2.0. No changes to settings.

Stayed open more and kept hips ahead of shoulders 90% of pass. Still could get hips/knees forward more coming into buoy. Ski is nice, feels more stable and smooth. The 1.0 certainly feels faster, but pretty sure this is roll-rate of ski and not necessarily acceleration and speed across wake. If I stay open and let ski finish and have hips ahead of shoulders, I am very early & wide for next buoy and feel like I could shorten up. This is same for 1.0, but I think stability (from slower roll?) will make it easier for me to work on body position. Maybe after some time getting better form (and hopefully shortening the line), I will like the 1.0 better…