Anyone ski behind a 2009 MC 197?

skibug

• Baller

Does anyone have any insight as to compare the 2009 MC 197 wake to a 2009 Malibu LXI?  In particular at 22', 28', 32'.  I have heard a few things about the MC, at 22', having a noticable bump...is this true? 

• Baller

To answer your question, yes it has a "bump" at 22, better than last year at 28, no issues from 32 and in. The LXI is better (IMO) at all loops, just a little at 28 and in, but a lot better at 22. Nautique is better at 22, about the same at 28 and a bit better from 32 and in.

If it matters, I start at 28 and don't care which boat I draw in a tournament...

• Baller

I ski behind both, I like the Mastercraft a little better. One of my ski partners weighs around 100 lbs soaking wet, she looks like she gets less pop at 22 behind the Mastercraft. But 28 and beyond it makes no difference IMO.

• Baller

To me, the LXI's wake feels wider at 22. It feels like you go over this big hill. The 197 feels like it's the same height, but narrower. So at 22 to me, it feels harder, since the transition is steeper.

Now, as to the feel with ZO. At the same settings, let's say C1, My thought is that the LXI feels really soft. The CC feels in the middle. And the TT197 feels like I've got my rope attached to the coupler on a Union Pacific locomotive. I skied behind Marcus Brown's 197 a month or so ago and that thing had a sweet pull on the old zo sw. So why the new one feels so strong I don't know. Same engine and trans as MB's. My only thought is that it's got to be propped different.

• Baller
I have always owned CC until now, and I have a 197 and love it.  I got it because it had a much better layout to take the family out, there are five of us, and we can cram all of our stuff in it and have plenty of room left over.  That being said, there is a noticeable rooster tail at 22.  If you put about 80lbs in the bow it makes it much better.  The rest of the line lenghts are great.  I have only gotten to ski behind 1 Malibu and it was very nice, had a very soft pull.  I really liked it.  It has been the nicest pull of any of the boats I have skied behind.  I skied behind many CC and they all feel the same.  Very good, just not quite as soft as the Malibu.  The Mastercrafts seem to be all over the board.  I have had some that feel really nice, just like the CC.  But this past weekend I skied behind one that felt like it was going 36 instead of 34, the thing was a beast.  I dropped down from B2 to A2 and that helped some, but it was still noticeably stronger then my boat. 

• Baller
Back to skibug's original question--if you ski with decent body position and good edge thru the wake you'll feel little difference between any of the big three boats.  MC 197 for '09 has very minimal bump at 22.  Skibug-- if you can ski 32 then you won't notice a bump at 22. 

• Baller
The 2009 MC 197 feels the same as the 2008.  I like it the same for slalom as my 1994 Nautique. I like tricking behind it too. Compared to my 1994 Nautique the trick wake on the MC has a flatter table, but the crests of the wake are a little softer. My boat has a harder wake crest, but a slight dish in the table. For slalom very litter difference in the wakes. The MC has Zero Off, and my boat has Stargazer. When skiing behind Zero Off you have to concentrate on staying smooth, and don't be quite as agressive. If you make a mistake it will bite you. After your first pass you will have no problem finding your groove.