Fisher waterski insert

icewebdan

• Baller

If the insert is still in the ski, but just turning with the screw, then put the screw half way in and pull the insert out (no binding of course). Then epoxy the insert back into the ski. I don't think you will be able to get a new insert from Fisher/Fischer as they do not respond to emails anymore (I have emailed both Fisher in the US and Fischer in Austria with no response from either).

If you need to put a new insert in, probably best to get one from one of the other ski manufacturers that use inserts (Radar, HO, pretty much everyone except Goode).

• Baller
The last thing I would do is use a stainless steel self tapping screw (the SS screw is weak and might break causing real problems and it won't leave good threads if it works). You won't be able to take the binding on and off very many times with that approach. Fisher used a metric insert (at least on the ones I've seen). If the threads are just stripped, you should be able to use a thread tap to cut new threads (use a bottom tap or grind off the end of your regular tap). An 8-32 tap might work in that size hole without drilling. Drill out the hole and tap it out with a 10-32 if the 8-32 doesn't work (taps often come in a pack with the proper size drill- but bottom taps are usually separate). A 10-32 screw might be too big for your binding plate so you might have to enlarge the hole on the plate (no problem - use a washer when you switch skis later). My inserts are threaded in to the ski (but I'm not sure about the Fisher) so when my inserts get stripped I just back the old insert out with an EZout and put a new one in (with a fresh batch of JB weld to lock it in). I used to get my inserts from good hardware stores (brass wood furniture inserts 8-32). Eric

• Administrators
If you call Paul @ D3 I think he will sell you the hardware they use. If your threads are toast and you can not get the old one out. . . . I wish you luck. I trashed a Sixam trying to fix it a few years back.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

don't know how the Fisher insert would be different from say a D3, but I've had great luck with the following process:

get a screw long enough to put two nuts around the top and still get all the way down to the bottom of the insert with some room to spare like 1 1/4".  Screw the two nuts down so that they're at the top of the insert while the screw tip is touching the end.  Coat the insert with some epoxy on the outside of it.  Tighten with a screw driver (the two nuts prevent the screw from going deeper into the insert).  To get it tighter, you get good leverage if you use the upper most nut with a wrench.  When you have it flush with the top of the ski, back the nuts off to the top of the bolt. Clean up any excess epoxy that may have leaked out.  Leave it in place like that until the epoxy dries.  The screw will keep the inner threads of the insert from getting epoxy on them.  Use the bottom nut to take the screw out.