Got my Elite, what a piece of

scoke

• Baller

Well my Elite came today. Holy heck, what a piece of art this thing is, gorgeous! I wouldn't mind buying another one just to hang on the wall....

I fondled it for a few minutes and put it back in its velvet case and closed it up. Resisting the temptation for a bit.

It's not as light as I thought it was going to be, just a tad heavier. A bit heavier than the goode but it feels solid, streamlined and obviously well made. I did read the manual (i am engineer, i have to!) and something was interesting in there regarding efficiency. I'll pull the exact line out tonight but it talked about the design was setup for "efficient skiing".

What's funny about that is a senior driver, with a bit of experience running shortline, who has pulled CP and Mapple through 41, both riding this ski, said that he rarely felt them and they are able to ski efficiently with that ski. Something to it...

• Baller

They are sweet looking skis. The box and general impression when you unwrap it is definitely something different. Kind of reminded me of opening up the Fischer at the ski test. Just a more refined product.

Those extra few ounces you feel is the insurace policy inside the ski. Insurance your ski won't explode, break down in 2 months, etc, etc.

sj

• Baller

Yep, a "more refined product" is a good way to put it, Scot.

Scoke, are you comparing the Goode with the plate to the Elite or just the ski to ski? Because with the plate, the Goode is quite a bit heavier I think. I could see what you're talking about as far as efficiency goes, though. Have you seen the video of CP running 41?  That's the cleanest 41 I've ever seen. He makes it look like 35 it's so smooth. You hear the ZO revving the hell out of the boat, but CP is just so smooth side to side and at the finish of the turns. I'm thinking the WR is going down before too much longer.

• Baller
It is awesome in its construction. Concur with other posts; fin box stinks, especially in light of what appears will require much tuning to skier preference. First two sets on a 67" yesterday, too soon to comment on the preferred setup, but can tell this ski, once tuned, will perform better than prior rides.

• Baller

scotchipman, no I'm on a 67 with RS1s. My friend Mike is on a 65.5 with animals, though. 6.84, 2.496, .765 had him run 5 at 38 off the first set on it. We've tried different numbers since then, but that was the best performance. I think tomorrow he'll try 6.84, 2.512 or so, .765 and see what that feels like. I said that about the plate because with Mike, he had to run Goode's plate on his 9900 to run his animals. On the Elite, the animals bolt straight down without a plate. The net difference is about 8 ounces lighter. 

The fin box is a non issue to me. Although I didn't like the looks of it at first, it's really not bad at all. I can adjust the fin in short order. Like Horton said, there is drag in the slot so the fin doesn't move around while you're adjusting it. A couple of taps will move it in one direction without moving it much in other directions.

John, that blem I got from you is hard to tell it's a blem.  There's not any of the porosity in the tip that Adam talks about. About the only thing I find "off" is that Obrien sticker on the tail is crooked.  Best deal on a blem I ever got! I wished I could afford a spare right now!

• Baller
Agree with Jones big time on the little weight maybe being some insurance. Believe me, it's a good thing. My Elite feels great. Snuck in a 35 the other night when momma wasn't looking and was super easy. Back to 32's for now until spring. Darn!

• Administrators

Weight? The Lightest Skis is best thing is marketing crap.
Build a ski with the most precision and highest quality materials and it will be pretty light. Build a ski with the most precision and highest quality materials and it will be more consistent.
Build a ski with the most precision and highest quality materials and it will ski very well.
Build a ski as light as possible just to make it light is backwards thinking but great marketing.

(Yes Eric I know you disagree…. Everyone, Eric thinks I am wrong… now Eric does not have to tell us how wrong I am).

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I currently weigh 220, and was a svelte 210 at my absolute peak fitness stage two years ago (right before I broke my arm).  In overall weight, a few ounces... hell, a few pounds in a ski cannot make any difference under those circumstances.  However, perhaps where that extra ski weight does make a difference is its location within the ski.  I would think that less weight in the tip and tail - resulting in a lower "swing weight" (a snow-ski term) - is probably a good thing.  For that reason I think a slightly heavier binding plate - which is in the center of a ski - is not so likely to have a negative affect on a ski's performance.

Primarily I am interested in a well-designed and well-constructed ski that doesn't have a reputation for breaking too easily.  That leaves out Goode, no matter how much they weigh.

TW

• Baller

We measured three skis today side by side by side.

You wouldn't believe which is the widest between:

Z7, 66" i think or 66.25"?

9800, 66.5" chord method,~67.5 arc measured

Obrien Elite, 67" factory call outout, ~67.75 arc measured.

• Baller

Elite is substantially wider than the A1 throughout, except the last 4" at the tail, in part explaining the less effort feeling.

Today it ran through 35off, .760. 2.508, 6.835, W7 with Wiley's, unfortunatley my feet weren"t in them.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is also wider than the 9800, Z7 not sure.

• Baller

The Elite is wider than a 67 Z7 and the same width almost exactly of a 67 Senate C(except for one spot right under the heal of the back boot).

A friend who rides a Z7 took my elite for a spin yesterday.  Hi comment after the first pass was "Holy $hit! This thing kills my Z7 on the offside!" I'm actually gonna try and tame down the offside a bit. Moved the front binding from 29.5 to 29.25 for today.

• Baller
I just got my 68.5 Elite from Horton. Thanks JT. I had a little trouble adjusting the fin at first but once I figured it out it was not that bad. It did not come with screws for the bindings. Did any of you have to get shorter ones like the manual says?

• Baller
Yesterday, someone saw me ski for the first time since I got on the elite and told me he couldn't believe how different I skied. He noticed something I'd been feeling......that before if I got into trouble I had to wait til my next on side to get my self out. But on the elite, I can drive my mass into the front of the ski on my offside and it just cranks around and puts me back on the handle in good position. Looking back at my logs, I've picked up 4 buoys on average in the 3 weeks I've been on it.

• Administrators

Dave I always thought you had a screw loose.... I just use the donuts that come with D3 bindings to shorten the amount of screw in the ski. Your a cop, you should know all about donuts.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

snug as a bug in a rug. the Elite sitting in it's velvet shoe box and only comes out to be fondled at night.

I skied on the too short for me 9800 at Scot Jones's on Saturday.

Rode the 9800 again at Ski Ranch with the gun toter. Water felt quick too.

Elite is vastly wider and heavier than the 9800.

Four of us in my group have ridden the 68.5 Elite, and we range from 190 lbs to 220 lbs.  No one thought it was too small for that weight range.

I have a brand new, NON-BLEM, never skied on 68.5 for sale - it's never even been out of the plastic bag or the black box it comes in.  $1600 including shipping.

TW

• Baller
Just skied the elite. Feels different from anything I have skied on before. It holds angle nicely off the second wake. I have only had two short sets on it and have not had a chance to move the fin around. I noticed what others have posted about it being less effort to ski on and I had the wing angle at 9 for 34mph.

• Baller
I was very uncomfortable my first pass 36 mph 22 off. Missed it. I shortened and ran 28. I realized the numbers I got from a couple sources were for 34 mph and ran 32 and 35. Amazing angle but still a little uncomfortable. The next set I went out at 34 mph and ran 28, 32, 35 and 38. A bad start at 39 ended it quickly. I should not be going up the rope on a ski I just got on. It stays down very nicely, no wheelie. You never know. Sometimes you love a ski the first two weeks and then can't run a pass. We will see. I am very optimistic at this point.

We brought two new-in-box Elites up for our core group to try, thinking at least two guys would want one (everyone in this group skis in the -35' to -38' range).  We only put bindings on one, leaving this one in the box.  Ultimately only one guy opted to keep skiing on it, so we never even opened the other box.

For the record, we ALL thought the ski has huge potential, and if you're skiing is technically perfect (or near-perfect) it would definitely be a superior choice.  Unfortunately, I don't ski good enough for this ski, and my buddies mostly felt the same way.  I think time will prove the Elite to be a love-it-or hate-it ski, but I know a lot of skiers - undoubtedly better skiers than I'll ever be - absolutely worship the thing.

So rather than open the second black box we're cutting our losses.

TW

• Baller
Thanks skidawg, I'll try those numbers. Is 6.837 tips? If so, what do you get jaws? I have a really old dial caliper. I am not sure if it matters. I started at .801, 6.849 tips (which seemed to translate to 6.725 jaws with my caliper), 2.510, binding 30" and 9 degrees wing at 34 mph. I had someone watch me and he said I had a lot of ski in the water on my offside turn. I tried someone elses numbers (.800, 6.737 jaws, 2.515, 30" binding and 8 degrees) and it felt better. I appreciate your help.

• Baller

check your dft shark, if it is not right it has lots of tip rise.  best range i have found so far is .786-.782 (forward or back is a bit funky). 

smart,

my length measure is tips, i could check jaws for you tonight. 

I had my front boot sittin' at 29 7/8" fin at 0.81 ish (67" ski). riding behind the boat or in the pull out, the water is pretty much where I like it (under the front boot). I thought ok this ski is going to work.... but with speed the ski almost levitates as if to put the tip into a no-mans land as coined it.

me thinks that a) a flat spot concentrates pressure and b) if you move it back you move the pressure or lift point rear ward propping up the nose.  just a guess.  i took video and that supports what i felt on the ski.

it's really cool side to side.

• Baller
I played around with front boot at 29.25, rear at 17, 6.850, 2.50, .785 for a week or so. It was just too aggressive at the finish of the offside turn. So my second set today I put it at 29.5, 16 3/4, 6.837, 2.512, .785 and that really balanced out the onside and offside again.  This thing is STRONG from the hookup to the centerline.  It's giving me stupid space ahead of the ball that I didn't have on the Senate C.