Course Record Callaway Fin

Stevie Boy

A fin is supposed to create pressure or resistance in the tail. the holes were punched in 30 years ago so fins could be run longer and deeper without having too much resistance (surface area).

A defacto standard fin emerged - presumably when skiers went from one ski make to the next. But not all fins are the same - D3 has more vented area for example and the shapes are slightly different, but not substantially so. A fin's shape only affects the ski in slide and the shape or cut determines the center of force/resistance or hydrodynamic center of the fin which basically controls the attitude of the ski on edge.

The Callaway is designed so skiers can swap in this fin for cold water, deeper lakes, bigger skis - and keep their same standard/stock dimensions. It is also a more efficiently designed shape reflecting the shape of fins found in nature (ie fish) with wing turbulence is exhausted into a void area as well.

The CR Pacific or Pac fin is a more dramatic repositioning of the hydrodynamic center. It's the full volume version - great for northern deep or Canadian waters, or wider skis. If you ride the CR pac with good results there is no need to try a Callaway. Callaway is for something like Robin Lake.

• Baller

Hi Brent

I was gonna try it in a sixam 2, I brought the OpenDivision Fin Block (hope thats the right move or tho it means drillingholes in a brand new ski and bonding inserts in) I just hated theO,Brien arrangment, I ordered a callaway fin to try at the same time,the attraction was the fact that you could keep your fin settings thesame and would not have to start from scratch, it was going to a bit ofan experiment but I just wanted to know what to expect from it or haveI wasted my $$

• Baller

Hi Brent my 2005 Sixam 2  has self tappers to secure the finblock and I would have to drill these and bond inserts to fit the opendivision block, however I have brought a 2008 Sixam 2 as a spare andthe open division block is intended for that ski, are you telling methat the fin block on a 2008 sixam has inserts already, I haven,t hadchance to look, been busy skiing, time on the water is precious here,short season for shorts & rash.

The other thing I,m having am problem with is how to use fluidmotion fin program, I have brought a 5052 fin and a Callaway CourseRecord fin.

My current setup is - "66" Sixam 2  - D3 FrontBoot -  HO RTP -   FIN Numbers = DFT.858    Length = 6.939   Depth = 2.595 the ski seems to work well with this setup.

Any Idea on numbers for the 5052 and the Callaway anybody ?

Best Regards 

• Baller

Cheers! Brent   the DFT @  0.858 is a result of theD3 Front Boot it positions quite a bit forward from the correctmeasurement, the ski used to turn so hard on the onside , I got crushedor loads of slack just couldn,t work it out, so I moved the fin forwardto effectively bring the binding back a bit if that makes sense. (Justthe way my engineering brain works)

Regards 

i don't have a problem with 0.860 if you are boots ahead that determines the slip of the ski. if your boots are forward, the fin follows.  the 6.940 and 2.600 is a TON of fin unless you are over size for the ski or the water is seriously soupy. Otherwise  it will really scrub off distance to make the turn.     

>>> FIN Numbers = DFT .858    Length = 6.939   Depth = 2.595 

So for the callaway stock settings on sixam are 2.500 and 6.880 ish. I would try something like 6.940 2.450 ish that gives you 11.870 sq inches of fin.   

• Baller

You got it 175lbs  5'6" desperately trying to shed some weight,my regular lake is shallow and lots of silt you have to work for theacceleration and the once the ski is up on the soup you have to dumpthe speed for the turn, dosen,t make for tremendous technique or thoughit is improving ,the difficult part is competitions where most lakeshave the depth and nice clear water.

The only real trouble isthat I end up skiing early but narrow, this is improving, the secretappears to be casting the ski off and keeping my hands with me,standingon the ski in a relaxed manner and letting it do its thing, recently afrench coach told me  "Snappy Edge Change and that is the "End OfYour Turn" , I can tell you that ever since hearing those words I havenot looked back my skiing is consistent and has improved beyond mydreams, but hey I,m still Dreaming and for an old Dawg like me to stillbe improving , it brings me a great deal of joy.