Syndicate A1 Vs. Radar RS-1?

ThorrenKoopmans

• Baller

I'm looking to get into a new ski - don't have much chance to do test drives where I'm at. The things I read about both skis are very good.

Friends who've watched me ski suggest that I ski in more of the West Coast style. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but ready for an upgrade and want to get something that I can hang on to for another 5-7 years without need to replace.

I'm currently on an HO ASX with double animals and can get through the course. 

Also wondering about the RS-1 boots.

Anyone ridden either or both of these skis and/or the RS-1 boots that can give me your opinion and details of what you liked/didn't like. 

Appreciated :)

I rode the A1 last fall for a month and loved it. Had it replaced this spring and the new one was not up to par.

I then tried the RS1, Elite and then the RS1 again. I am sticking with the RS1.

To me the RS1 is very fast and forgiving. It is easier on my body to ski it. I am not working very hard to keep the ski moving.

Lots of people love the A1 and it has a nice sweet spot.

Try them both if you get a chance.     

If you've read my thread you know I don't know much about ski's so I'll leave that to the other guys. But I have read from a couple people that they have had a hard time getting the right fit/size on RS-1 boots. So it would be nice if you could try those on before you bought them.

http://3eventstore.com/page11.html

Just so you guys are aware. Bennett's is having a closeout sale on these boots.

They bought a ton, but they were not as popular as they were anticipating. Do

size up if you are a half size. I am a pretty solid US 10 1/2, the 11 shell is perfect

heel to toe on me. If your heel to toe is right but foot is not big enough to fill up the

shell, you can put an insole in the shell to stand on top of and take up more space.

Here's the thing. Their price is amazing. Just call or e-mail and ask. If you hate the bindings,

at this price you could very easily resell them and recover you money: if not make a few dollars.

I planned to evaluate bindings over the winter, but this was a legitimate "too good to pass up" deal.

I have both of these ski's and find myself riding the RS-1 more so than the A1.. For me the RS-1 rides a little more in the tail super fast across the wakes and really turns with little effort. On this setup I also use the RS-1 boots I'm a size 9.5 but use the size 10 boots with superfeet and have no problems.. I did see the 2010 stuff last week the new boots are suppose to be true to size, come with the superfeet sole and liners are a bit more slimmed down.. The back rubber of the boot is also not as thick for a little easier release, another cool thing is they are going to offer single mounted plates for the boots so you could run a RTP a little easier..

My A1 has a Reflex hardshell in the front and a Wiley Pro Built in the rear.. This setup is a lot different from my RS-1 and ski's a lot different. The A1 ski's really nuetral for me but does't seem as fast through the wakes they are two very different ski's for me that is for sure, I've switched around bindings from ski to ski and feel that the RS-1's work best with the Radar setup, still trying to get the Reflex system dialed in on the A1.. I'm just starting to get into 32off this year and have a lot more to learn but feel a little more confident on the RS-1 at this point in time.. Hope this is a little help for you but it is really a good idea to try both of these ski's, call Darren @ Wileys he may let you demo both of these ski's??

I went to the RS1 bindings this year... I love them. I'm a size 8 and I had to size up to a 9 in the RS1's. I use superfeet and they work great. I'm also skiing on an A1 and I love it. I havnt had a chance to ski the RS1 but I've heard great things about that ski as well. Either way you cant go wrong. I set a pb on the A1 within 2 sets of skiing on it.... not sure if thats cause it works that well, or if my old ski sucked that much.

• Baller

I have been on the RS1 with radar bindings for 3 months now and love it. It turns so smooth and crisp and the tracking of the wake crossings is like no other ski. I tried a buddy's A1 and liked it, but not as much as the RS1. I felt I had to work harder to get the ski to perform. It didnt have the speed the RS1 has. If I got on the front of the A1 it just shut down on me. My buddy has been skiing on that ski for a few months and finally tried my RS1 and it took 3 sets and he his putting his A1 up for sale for a new Radar. I also had another friend coming off a 2005 sixam try both skis and liked the RS1 more, He said its just easier to ski on and turns better.

skiing abilitie opinions range from 22 off @36 to 32 off@36

• Baller

Agustafson,

What can you tell us about the 2010 Radar line any new things, like a ski??

The boots you say have changed are the colors and general setup the same?

I see radar tweeted about an expo for 2010 stuff, where is the expo?

rq0013

The boots are a new color blk with silver trim, the liners are also lined in a silver color still has two pull cords but the plastic end caps on the laces are beefed up so you shouldn't have a issue with pulling them off when you are cinching up the boots the back of the boots rubber is a little thinner as well for a easier release I believe.. The mounting plate looks the same with some added graphic that I thought looked very nice in silver detail.. They are also going to offer individual plates for the boots to mount on if so desired.. I liked the the looks of last years boots, when I saw these I was thinking how I can get a set of these sooner then later they look killer!!!

The bindings where the only thing that I saw so I can't make mention if there is a going to be a new ski or not sorry!