Slot Fin on A1?

Chef23

Jagersport.com fin setup says the A1 is not a cold water ski  http://www.jagersport.com/support.htm  "This ski must ride well in warm water, because it doesn't in cold"

I don't have a problem in cold water with my speed slotfin on my d3.  so, I don't think it's the fin - it's the ski.  You can tweak the settings, but...

• Baller

The comment on the Jagersport fin setup spreadsheet is about the System 8 and Monza.

The ski was working well in water that was in the low to mid 90s in NC.  Back home the water was 70* when I first got back and I was skiing like crap.  Now it has warmed up to the upper 70s and I am skiing better but I feel like I am just skiing better also (if that makes sense).

A1 is a great ski, i have to say the best i've ever ridden.

cold or pure water is much firmer than soft/contaminated/etc. So the ski rides up higher on the bow wave, putting you back on the ski. Also the fin locks in much better. takes more energy/power to ski in pure or cold water. so everything works against you.

boots  ahead to get some contact, fin ahead to restore slip, reduce depth, increase length to put the ski down on edge and reduce the wing angle so the tail is not lowered and match the ski's flatter planing angle.

i run the CR pacific fin on the A1 which we designed specifically for cold/pure conditions. the clarity or purity of the water has much more effect on the ski than temperature. the water in Calgary was cool 68-70F but it was greasy due to the impurities so it still skied decent enough to see some 39's. 3 @41 was an AAA of a score, best ski for the job, helluva skier on it.

• Baller

Shark,

I have been playing with your spreadsheet and when I punch in my particulars I get some very funky numbers.

How many changes should I make at once?  I have started to ski better now that our water is 80 degrees but I know it isn't going to last long.  Should I try move the bindings ahead and change the wing angle first then start things from there?

The thing about contaminated water is really interesting. My lake is massive, cold and unbelievably pure water. I have to pull twice as hard at my lake and I can always get another 6 buoys on softer water than I can at home and when I come back from skiing at other lakes I feel like I'm skiing on ice & always wondered why, even when the temperature goes up, it dosnt seem to make a difference.

Now I know