Drought Video

lakeaustinskier

• Baller

I’m new to this forum but I thought you’all might want to check out this video:

I had noticed somewhere in this forum (can’t remember) some pics of some of the lakes in our area that have been devastated due to the extreme drought in our area (Aquaplex Ski Lake, Austin Texas).

I took this video two weeks ago when I was out there with my kids.  Sorry about the video quality (was not intending to share it) but it’s pretty interesting to see what has happened to a place that has hosted the 2000 U.S. Open, numerous Barefoot Nationals and other large tournaments.  

Currently the lake is almost dry except for a small area about 200 feet long, 10 feet wide and about 18 inches deep.  The fins and other movement you see in the water at the end of video are the remaining carp that we stocked for weed control.  Each fish is about 30-36 inches (no lie) and the fish are literally stacked on top of each other in the small amount of water still remaining in the lake.

• Baller
That is crazy. I talked to Marc Austin on Friday and he was telling me about the carp. I hate to see that, especially for such a nice group of homeowners. I'm still very much appreciative of Aquaplex for allowing me to stay in the clubhouse for a week when we were run out of Houston due to no power after Hurricane Ike. It sure did ski nice that week!

• Baller

More pics and a cell phone video.   

http://www.waterskiaustin.com/Lakes/drought2009.htm

Most of these pics are over 1 month old - so they don't really tell the current story.

Austin, TX (Central Texas Area) -

Austin Aquaplex - completely dry

Frameswitch Ski Lakes - completely dry

San Marcos River Ranch - 1 skiable lake out of 4

• Baller
This is the hottest, dryest I remember it in Houston. We got rain in mid may, then we didn't get a drop for 60 days. Thankfully, we have a 2nd lake that's about 1/4 dug. So we brought out the 6" diesel pump to pump it out and managed to raise our lake 10" in order to have our last tournament last weekend. We've already dropped 2" since last Saturday.

• Baller_

JTH - Sorry, not meant to be a "slam" against the dry areas of TX.  One of our Tuesday group moved to the Aquaplex a few years ago, so I've been aware of their predicament this season.  Skiview - that was great skiing in truly lousy conditions.  You definitely get an "A" for effort !

• Baller

Since there are two lakes (horseshoe) we had discussed damming one end and pumping into the remaining lake.  Glad we didn't do that since both lakes dried up anyway.  No one has skied at Aquaplex since last September.

In the meantime we've renovated and dredged the marina, repaired the jump, surveyed everything etc., prayed for rain and found other places to ski - thanks to Gordon Hall and San Marcos River Ranch homeowners. 

Looking forward to El Nino, La Nina - whatever system brings rain.   

• Baller
There has been some rain in the Austin, TX area.   Please keep your prayers and well wishes or rain dances going!     We need several more days of focused soakings to put water back into our ski lakes.

• Baller

Worked out at Aquaplex Saturday in the rain surveying, cleaning up anchors etc. and there's about 1 inch overall in the lake now............oh well.

All the carp in the video are now dead and floating and rotting.  They might have survived with the additional water from the rain.  Evidently timing matters.

• Baller

Somebody delete this thread because Aquaplex is full and water is running over the spillway!!! Haven't skied at my own house since last Nov. Been standing here all day watching it rain and the lake come up. Got nothing done at all. Perfect day and no more driving South to ski. Hell Yeah!!

Marc

• Baller

I'm gonna give the floating balls of fire ants a little time to go away. T$$ and I might try it out tomorrow before I head out on business for a few days. He looks downright bad ass on that new Strada. Can't wait to test a 67" when they get em done.

• Baller

Forgot to say that I received some great instruction from Trent last week.  Also saw the new Strada and the "Matrix" bottom.  Did not try it out.         I need to settle the new bindings down - and like Marc........ need to wait for a 67.