College Waterskiing recommendations

RichardDoane

• Baller_
My son is doing the application process to colleges for next year, he's engineering/math minded, or possible medical/dental.  Just wondering what BOS people would recommend for an alma mater where watersports is part of the mix. I actually graduated from SDSU, but wasn't tuned into the waterski team back then. 

• Baller

I coach a bit for both SDSU and UCSD. We can ski year round - well actually it is a bit too cold in the summer. San Diego winter water is normally 60F - OK with a full wetsuit. SDSU is supposed to be getting a new Nautique soon. UCSD has an 05 MC. Both have excellent waterski programs.

Both are really hard to get into academically. My older son's 4.2 GPA was not enough for UCSD but we did not have the coach (Bill Schneiderwind) pull any strings for him as he wanted to get away from home. SDSU is not quite as bad but you still need excellent grades. The coach there (Mike Theimann) can also pull some strings and offer tiny scholarships.

Email me at eleeski at aol dot com and I'll forward your email to them. If your son is coming down with you to Imperial, I might be able to get him a tour of SDSU - I had one arranged for Alex when she was thinking of coming to the tournament (I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery). Call me if you want a tour.

Eric Lee

• Baller

PURDUE has it all! They have a top ten ranked undergrad engineering program, one of the most organized student run water ski teams in the country, a lake that's 5 minutes off campus, AND the mascot is a train! What's better than a train mascot? Plus look at the great water skiers who went there:

Jeff Surdej (midwest region EVP / head of NCWSA),

Cale Burdick (pro skier / soon to be a doctor?),

Neil Armstrong (I'm sure he's skied),

me,

and many more!