Now Here,s an Idea ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller
I,m sure somebody else has thought of this ?     For people who use ski manafacturers bindings and are stuck with the one hole forward or one hole backward syndrome when trying to get a binding placement where they want it, how about using the manafacturers slotted holes for mounting the binding, but use Dual Loc for position, enabling the skier to make smaller adjustments to binding position. Further more if a ski manafacturer was to go with this method, it would reduce cost and elimnate two inserts in the ski.

• Baller

Stevieboy, that is a reasonable idea. But if you are hard mounting the plate in an insert, the dremel is a lot easier.

1/2 hole? what about 3cm! If you are doing a radical move (like my 3cm move) you might need both the dremel and duallock to attach the plate.

Eric

• Baller
If you get an industrial strength version, it works very well! I've been on FM Quatro's since '05 and that is what holds down the heel of the front foot and toe of the back foot down, along with pre load from the barrel pin unit from behind. You'd be amazed at the holding power of a 4" wide piece of velcro! It's very hard to get the boot to seperate from the ski by hand. I've used a 3M product number SJ 3577 or SJ 3576 and have had no pre-releases and it's very durable! Or you could just order a chunk from FM.

Velcro high technology hook and the proper loop does in fact hold as much as dual lock (per sq in). the limit of hold is the adhesive on the back side. hook&loop releases in peel, and does this smoothly because there are 1000's of expandable connections. dual lock is very abrupt - less connections, on or off. hook and loop is very durable and long lasting, with connection force dropping off per 100's of release/closures. it requires that the user twist or wiggle in to allow the loops to hook-up. dual lock is very inconsistent past the first set of release/closures and drops as the mushroom stems fatigue and damage- there are no back-ups. with loop there are 100's of unused loops (like brain cells) and the hook is much more durable as well.

dual look is good for attaching with ample margin(e.g. 50% more than min required). we could have used either but hook and loop was much better - more compact, durable, user friendly, available and inexpensive and i really like the way hook and loop skis so we "stuck" with that on the quattro system. the knock on quattros is a bit more time consuming to setup and some extra weight due to the sole plates. all my ski buddies have stayed on their systems for the past 5 years. i went to E's for development sake and we are selling way more of the E's too. 

I am not surprised at the rate of injury on dual lock. it might take a couple of years, maybe 4 or 5 if you are both good and lucky, but you will get bitten.

hook and loop is a great way to augment screws. if you mount to a goode for example, laying down some hook, put loop on the bottom of the boot plates and use 10 screws. we have done this and others too. it works great.  i have a small patch under my rear heel of my e's too.