New Radar Strada Report

RichardDoane

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

davemac - 6'/172#'s but Thanksgiving has pushed me up a couple lbs, so this week I'm "watching it" !

Chef23 - Randy just said that he could feel the ski turn quicker/better and that it supported him just fine. He's actually 215 lbs.  A pretty aggressive skier who "forces things" and like I said before, he skied/looked better than on his A-1.  He'll need to ski it again and we'll get back. I'll shoot some video if possible.

• Baller

Richard,

This may have been answered previously in the thread. If so I apologize.

I loved the RS 1 wake crossing and heel side, but I have a nasty tendency to jump on the tip on occasion toe side which the RS 1 did not tolerate. Do you feel any of this tendency on the Strata?

• Baller_

No, it's offside seems to turn easier for some reason ( I'm RFF, and the majority of mistakes I've been making have been on the 2/4 side). Herb was telling me about the new shape to the bevels, but it all went in one ear and out the other.  Eddie has all the answers. 425 369 6851

• Baller_
We're hoping to test Wally on 67" & 68" Stradas this weekend (the 68 mold got started this week).  He's 6'2" and 215, and transitioning to the RS Boots from Approaches.  This will be his 3rd weekend on my "loaners", so if he does well it's time to step up and buy his own.

• Baller_

Eddie set us up with a 68" and a 67" Strada today, Randy opted to set up the 68" and give it a rip.  The following vid is his initial set, my camera got cold so no battery for his second set, which is too bad because he skied even better.  3 @ -38 ended his second ride on that ski, not bad for the first day on a new ski, 4th set in my "loaner" RS Boots, and water and air temps of 40'F.

• Baller

Richard,

Where are you measuring from on your Strada boots to get your distance from tail of ski? If I'm on the threads much different than flat on the plate and touching the bottom of boot. Setting up a 67" Strada now.

Marc

• Baller_
MAD11 - I set my boots a little farther forward than recommended, 30" is my measurement from the tail of the ski to the stiching line on the rear of the front boot.  disland - my fin settings are set for the entire season, whether the water temp. is 40' or 75'.  Bill - in some aspects you are absolutely correct. 

• Baller

Thanks Richard. Going to start at 29 1/4 on the 67".   You being further forward make sense in the cold water. I usually have to move forward a little in the winter.  Hoping to give it a go on Friday. Was going to head down South with it for a few days this past weekend but UPS screwed it up.

Been spending the last few weeks getting dialed in on Strada boots riding the Elite. The boots are winners for sure. That part of the puzzle is solved. Now I'm on to the new ski which looks awesome. I do have a really nice set of almost new E-series boots for sale in size 10 RFF if anyone is interested.

Marc

• Baller

I ski on Sammamish year around. During the past two weeks there has been a major flying fly infestation on the lake. The larvae are in the water and the flies are hatching now. My boat literally had a monolayer of the pests covering the exterior and interior when I stopped. When I tried to brush them off or stepped, sat and walked on them, they squished and stained everything brown. I've had to thoroughly clean the upholstery and the carpet each time out this month. Oh, and did I mention inhaling them and trying to clear them from my eyes while skiing?

Several lake-front homeowners told me that this phenomenon lasts about 3-4 weeks.

• Baller

Got some sets in on the 67" Strada over the past few days. Made a few movements and really have it feeling good after about 5 sets. Most of the changes had more to do with my binding spacing than the ski since I just also switched to the Strada boots. This ski is super fast and moves through the transition without effort.  Skis with much less effort than the Elite I've have been riding and flows through the turn much better. Ran about a dozen 32 offs today and they were wide and early. Now I know why Trent was smiling so much riding his before heading back to Canada. Seems to have the best characteristics of the RS1, but much more forgiving. 

• Baller

Richard,

Stopped by a little Ice? Where is the dedication to the sport??  I half expected to see photos of you guys  building a roaring campfire in the hull of an aluminum boat, then motoring around in it to melt/break up the ice- like the big Russian Ice Breakers do.

(Looking forward to resumption of this thread when weather allows... and continued posts by those in warmer parts)

MAD11,

I bet the elbows and body feel better after the effortless sets. That was my first reaction after getting back on the RS1 after riding the Elite. I cant wait to start the season fresh on the RS1 now that I have healed up from my Tommy John surgery.    

• Baller

MS,

Yeah, skied 2 sets with a 20 minute break between, water temp about 49 degrees. Wasn't really tired considering I was in a drysuit. Ski feels great and I trusted it right away. You need to ride one. After trying everything else out there I'm locked in on the Strada now.  The guys at Radar did a great job for sure. No doubt there is going to be a lot of Silver skis around this summer. As fast as the RS1 and way more forgiving. Kept moving if I was on the back or front. Just kills my heel side turn too! Always a good thing. 

Marc

• Baller
Sorry for off topic. Thomas, what is Chet telling you now. Anything new. I have always been impressed with his coaching and have not had a chance to get down there for many years. Anything you can share would be appreciated.

I skied both with Wim driving and Chet coaching, and also with Chet coaching while driving  (with other skiers riding).  Most of the time Chet preferred to not drive while he coached (I'd say 85% of the time).  I do think that once he knows a skier's personal style he's very capable of coaching from behind the wheel, taking advantage of a large high-mounted mirror.  He's also an excellent driver.

I'd love to pass on his latest "tips" , but that's almost impossible because his coaching is VERY individual in nature.  Having the opportunity to ride in the boat while he coached many skiers - Wim DeCree and [Men5 national champion] Ed hickey among them - I noticed the very distinct way that he would individualize his coaching for each skier.  No one gets the same direction/correction because no two ski the same or have the same issues to overcome.  So, with his coaching so specifically tailored to the individual, any coaching quoted here could only benefit someone who skied nearly the same as the one being coached.

One other thing that impressed me about Chet is that, even though he had as many as 10 different skiers on any given day, he clearly remembered what each skier was working on and instantly picked up where they had left off [at the end of their last session].  Overall it was an impressive display of very focused individual-based coaching.

TW 

Richard,

I am all over one. I am pulling the trigger in May after a few weeks of getting in shape. The RS1 is not going anywhere until I know whats going on.    

Santas is being nice to my wife. Z7 and a new golf cart to get her to the club dock now that Shane has my last 196 in his care.      

Got my hands on a 66" today and hope to rip it the next four or five days, no rain expected so should be a go. Ski on a A1 and really like it so will be interesting (at least for me) to compare these skis and see how I do on the Strada. Can't wait for tomorrow, think I'll sleep with the ski, my wife really does understand.

Have three days on the Strada, right out of the boat and ran the smoothest, easiest 28 off I can remember, turns on both sides were effortless and very stable, early to all 6 balls. Little edge hunt in glide, just keep on outside edge and go. I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up, will try next with the Strada boots, didn't really like the RS1s but will give the Stradas a shot. It's tough to really get a good comparison when it's so cold but overall, I like this ski. FWIW