ZR6 Pull

hogexpress

i never ski as well behind a buddy's '07 SN w/ Zr6.  the feeling is that i never really get 'free' from the boat and the boat is back on you so fast coming out of the turns that it is hard to get a smooth controlled finish. 

we have played with the kx factor and it is set @ kx-, but does not seem to do much good.  

any other suggestions to dial this beast back?  maybe a prop change?  

how many hp does it take to pull a skier anyway - my trusty little 5.0l seems to do a great job.

keith

• Baller

It will be interesting to see the replies. Could be that with the extra torque/HP of the Zr6 you are not creating much reduction in rpm during the max load phase; compared with the 5L, the relatively greater reduction in rpm imparted, especially if you load hard off the ball, is met with a throttle response that propels a skier into the subsequent pre-turn providing the sensation of "breaking free".

You might consider trying a switch, since using PP, and maybe KX-/PX15, to make the Zr6 provide some extra rpm kick off the ball at load and determine if this provides that "break free" experience. Easy to try compared to to reducing torque with a different prop.

• Baller

HG, up here in the NW two years ago, the SN promo boat had the big motor.  I never skied well behind it no matter what I did.  I felt the same things you described.  I pulled, but the boat never gave.  Jumpers loved the boat, but unless you were a beast of a skier, you were not given any slack.  I am 165lbs so you get the picture. 

I guess a person could change the prop, but I would just open his engine box before you ski and pull a couple of plug wires.....That will put it back down to around 300hp.

OF

• Baller_
Directionally to soften the pull you would want to add pitch to the prop to lower the engine speed at a given boat speed.  Will make the boat more sluggish feeling, which sounds like what you are looking for.  The other difference is the newer props all have more blade area, thus less slip than older props.

• Baller

It's fixable.  I skied behind a Malibu with the 385hp Hammer Head motor and it was fine.  I was scared of it at first because it was a jumpers boat, and it was vibrating the swim platform badly at idle.  However, once we entered the course it was fine. 

So ya, check the prop recommendation.  However first off ensure within perfect pass you have selected the right motor.  If you do not have an option for the ZR6 I would call Perfect Pass and request a new chip that does have it.  It will make all the difference in the world.

Good Luck,

Ken

just remembered this boat came out of fla and belong to scot ellis maybe or some other jumper (it had jump stickers on the side). 

so would there be a unique pp chip for jumping and do ski jump boats get set up with a different prop?  

will find out which prop is on the boat and i will call perfect pass today.

thanks

clemsondave, thanks for the info.  we will confirm which prop is on the boat.

spoke w/ pp this morning.  there is nothing in the chip/module that would impact the pull other than kx and having correct engine selected.  engine selection apparently doesn't even affect the pull - as it just determines where on the engine the rpm is picked up by the tach.