Bored already

thager

• Baller
Shane, send it to me and I'll shine it up and ship it back. Might cost you a tow if I ever get to Houston. I kind of miss the beast!! Did my last sets today. Air 58, water 51. Ran 22's 28's and 32's @34 then sank the course and put the boat in the shed. Lake went to glass right after Favre finished with GB.

I imagine some sort of metal polishing compound would do the trick. Pick it up at local department store near the jewlery probably. You could probably also find something at an automotive store for polishing rims - they may be more aggressive. Most the metal polishes do a wide range of metals and I can't imagine the the Elite using some sort of exotic metal, but it might be worth looking into before you dive into it to avoid discolourations or whatever.

• Baller

Swerveit,

I started by pulling the fin block, removing the fin, screws and separating the box parts. Hit the external surfaces only with a medium grade sandpaper on a finishing sander. Make sure you do not touch any of the finbox intermal or bottom. I graduated to a fine wet/dry grit (Wet) sandpaper. Finished it all up with red polishing compound on cloth polishing wheels . Both items are found at Sears and spun by a drill. I clamped my drill in a vise and used it like a benchtop buffer. Buff all external surfaces only until nice and shiny. Hit with Nu car finish (wax) to preserve. Beautiful!!!

• Baller
Thager - That looks awesome! For those that are concerned about corroding, all the new skis have their fin blocks clear coated first to avoid this. If you are worried about it you can do exactly what Thager did. For everyone who's bored with winter already, I posted a video on the blog of some pretty impressive dry suit skiing, check it out : http://www.obrieneliteblog.com/

• Baller

TW,

When I get bored with it I plan to powdercoat it gold to match my RS-1 boots. Just need to buy some more gold powder.

Adam,

Thanks for the compliment!. My next project is to damageproof my Elite Ski bag from the airline bag monkeys. Almost there. Will post pic and how to when done.

thager - by the powers of grey skull and all that is holly that is one pimp looking elite fin block!!!!

kinda puts mine to shame.....

only thing ive done is "de-badge" it there is no stickers anywhere on my ski...

with black double hards on board it looks like the death star....

one sweet looking ski.

• Baller
Bored again today. Tried to make my Elite Ski bag as airline bag loader guy proof as possible and still light enough to be practical. Used 3/16 " pegboard that I had in the garage and cut a piece 57" X 8" to fit in bottom. Covered with gray duck tape to match bag lining. Place ski in ski sock or bag with a fin protector in Elite bag. The fin protect will fit right inside the one provided in the Elite bag. Next,cut two pieces to place on top of ski. One is 48" X 8" the other 24 X 8". Together they will overlap a little on top of ski. Cut out 5 1/2 inches from center long enough to just fit over bindings in the bag. Again cover with gray duct tape and place over ski top. Velcro down tightly on ski in bag. The Elite bag is great as these are already provided. You now have a wooden sandwich to absorb direct blows to the ski. I line the bag edges with towels outside the sandwich and the rest with ski necessities like gloves, trunks, wetsuit etc. Total weight of my bag is 25 pounds. While no bag is baggage guy proof this will up the odds against damage.

• Baller

Deke,

Sorry about your ski, If I have time I do ship. If I want a new ski I don't. Shipping costs have gone way up lately. Last ski and bindings cost me $60 with ups one way from WPB. Fed Ex was way cheaper via ground but allow time. Either way I think it goes by airplane from MSP. I also built a 9" ski tube that I travel with that even a bag monkey like MS would have trouble messing up. Only problem is you feel like a terrorist pulling it through the airport as it resembles artillary. Makes my wife paranoid from all the stares!

MS, you are so full of crap!!! Is there a commission on messed up baggage???

• Baller
I like the idea.  What happens when TSA rifles around in there checking for whatever-they-check-for?  It probably won't get put back togther as pretty as you have it the pics.  Just food for thought.  Real nice job however. 

The TSA are worse then the bag apes. PILFER is the motto.

I cant believe that someone would buy a 1500 ski, wrap it in towels, put it in a padded case and ship it on southwest.

1500 ski

500 airfare

300 rent a car

150 National entry fee

500 boots

gloves, vest and rope 200

Spend all that cash and there you are at the baggage claim when your busted up ski comes down in 3 pieces.

The look on your face would be Priceless.      

• Baller

"If I want a new ski I don't. "

"I have seen skis damaged in a hard case but the airlines will cover it.No hardcase & they will not cover any Damage. When possible I ship my hardcase via Fedex or UPS. Guarenteed the skis will be waiting for us @ the other end & no schleeping the case all over the place."

NEWS FLASH! Not only do airlines charge you for your baggage, but they do not cover damage to the contents... even in a hard shell case. They "can't possibly know if you packed it properly." They will, however, help you out with the case itself. It's all very frustrating because once you leave the airport you cannot talk to a "real" person who has any authority to do anything other than restate policies. I was lucky that the only damage I could detect was a slightly bent fin but it was a real wakeup call. You can imagine the force it took to crush that case! Shipping may sound pricey but the cost to replace two skis... wow!