Eric - Why only 1/2 Points for using a WB in the College Rules ?

RichardDoane

• Baller_
Eleeski - how come the college Trickers get only 1 pass, and only score 1/2 the points if they use a wakeboard ?  Allot of the newer boards are within the 40% rule, and have no fins.  I personally suck on a regular trick ski, but at least I can score 1000 with doubles on my 1st pass, and then the WB on the return. 

• Baller

Richard - I'll let Eric answer the question w/ regard to one pass.  If time is the issue, then only 2 jumps should be allowed - that's just me.

As for 1/2 values, wakeboards actually shouldn't be allowed in the trick event as described in the rules (dimensions of the ski) but an exeception was made for NCWSA events that allow them to score as two ski tricks.  WB's were seen as easier to accomplish surface turns and therefore were alloted the same point value as two ski tricks.  If the WB falls within the dimensions of a trick ski, it would score the same as one-ski tricks.  I viewed the exception as a compromise between "old-school" skiers and those that wanted to expand the sport at the collegiate level.  It has worked well I believe.

• Baller
Richard - the one pass is for sure a time issue. The vast majority of college trickers (myself included) only know enough tricks for one pass anyway, so the second pass would be wasted time. We also do the 2 jump rule at most tournaments in the midwest, where you only get a 3rd jump if you land one of your first 2.

• Baller
Richard - good point - obviously, WB's have evolved since the rule was implemented.  Skiers should alert the chief judge that their WB falls within the guideline.  Adam - we have done the same in the past when time was an issue.  I thought it was a good idea.

• Baller

One pass reflects the reality that most collegiate skiers are true beginners. Most college skiers have trouble filling two passes. Deciding the best skier really only needs one pass. I like tricks so they make a rule to give me less to watch of what I like (all about me).

I'll bite. This rule was specifically written against ME!

I built a trick ski that was huge, the "whackboard". Wide and long, it fit in all the rules. It didn't work very well with conventional trick ski bindings but worked great as a slippery wakeboard. It was really easy to learn the basic 660 run on the ski. Despite the wakeboard stance, the kids I coached looked like trick skiers.

After a year or two my kids were qualifying for Nationals and All Stars and bumping kids who had been tricking for years. The kids on the "whackboard" were consistent and pretty competent. But it is really hard to get too far competing against a trick ski. Still, given that UCSD and SDSU are academically rigorous and the kids didn't get much practice time (even less trick time) and they started from zero, the "whackboard" was a huge success.

Too much of a success. It looked to us like the rule change was politically motivated to take away the equipment advantage. Sloppy wakeboard tricks are really hard to call and ugly. Flips are threatening to the established trickers (why is there a 6 flip rule?) and skilled wakeboarders focus on flips to the exclusion of other skills. Tricks are traditional - the hope was to carry on that tradition. So maybe there some other factors. But it makes a better story if it is all about my ski!!

The wakeboard rule is retarded. Kirk went to his first 3 event Nationals on a wakeboard and nearly medaled. He has since transitioned onto a trick ski and is a top tricker in B3 (4th at Nationals this year). That is exactly the progression we should be seeking at every level of the sport. Why we discourage the entry level tools is beyond my comprehension.

Eric

• Baller

Those boards are not legal trick skis in college. Lets hope they stay legal in AWSA.

I was assigned to check wakeboard compliance with the width/length rule at Regionals a couple of years back. I made a gauge out of a sheet of plywood (Horton noticed my extrapolations weren't quite right - but it was close enough). One of the B1 boards wqas not close to legal. So we bolted a sandal onto the top of the ski sticking out from the fin bolt holes in front and back. It stuck out far enough to make the board legal. When the chief judge came racing up to me on her cart, I knew exactly what was up. We all decided that the ski was legal as modified.

Kirk's ski had a similar extension (a dollop of epoxy to extend it 5mm) on the board he took to Nationals and that ski passed inspection. There is precedent that is not based on my judgement.

Modern wakeboards often have molded in fins. For SDSU I ground the fins off and smoothed the bottom with bondo. This board is almost as good as the whackboard. Choose the board with the least features on the bottom and modify what is left to as smooth as possible. Great for beginning tricks!

Eric