How many things are crazy in this photo? I am like a 13 yr old girl at a Britney show about this

Horton

Oh, so it's a picture puzzle!

Well, the top deck looks like a really crappy job of molding, which suggests it's a prototype.

The doohickey seems to have a waterproof access port of some sort and possibly some user input points that are partially obscured by the tether.  The center "window" resembles a graphical user interface, perhaps a small LCD screen?

Could it all be about Piezoelectrics?   I mean, why not?  After all, they've been tried in everything else, from snow skis to pool cue shafts, so water skis certainly can't be immune...

TW

http://shadowboxlive.com/

If not the above "ShadowBox", then another product of the same breed. The tether cable is a safety chain in case the Velcro fails...

The ShadowBox is probably one of the greatest inovations since instant replay! -Talk about logging your practice sessions (every detail) and review or analysis!!!

Is O'brian now using this technolgy for R&D of ski's and Bindings?  

• Baller

2nd the ShadowBoxTM type gps speed/course
plot tracking device conjecture.

Tried to get similar data with a Garmin Forerunner 305, but
the update frequency was inadequate, although one velocity data point was logged
at 107mph, probably from a flailing arm after a spill.

Could provide great data exploited as a coaching tool. That
combined with a device logging line load vs. time could be quite useful; more
buoys???

Definitely more $$$, maybe it will cost way less than $500 ( class=SpellE>ShadowBoxTM),
otherwise we'll have to wait & hear from Horton as to how valuable it is.

• Baller
I always thought; if you could ski a good set, see the video, then some sort of output of your actual line through the course it would reveal more, it could reveal your speed anywhere in the course, your arcs or turn radii, the angle of your path behind the boat. You could ski a set and really see things unbenouced to the naked eye. 

• Baller

yeah I agree it is a shadow box.

It records Speed, location, acceleration, jump height, Jump distance, hang time, G force, object angles, rotation degrees, spin rates 

it exports your ride to google earth so you can see your path on the water and in the air for those jumpers and trick skiers

It has been used by many wake boarders but i see now it is making its way into the skiing scene!!

This is a great tool not just for product factory testing but for testing many skies to see what one is best for you. 

http://www.shadowboxlive.com/downloads/images/google_earth_shadowboxlive.com.jpg  http://www.shadowboxlive.com/downloads/images/ridetracker.jpg

http://www.shadowboxlive.com/downloads/images/google_earth_example.jpg 

• Baller

Lets see, there is a prototype ski, with a novel boot, a GPS or dampener box and a safety wire to make sure you don't lose parts.

But the most interesting thing is the washer under the screw that is holding everything on is GATORADE LID plastic!

Happy Thanksgiving

Eric

"Thomas Wayne 17 hours ago                                                                                                   edit

I'm guessing that doohickey has some accelerometers and other suchgizmos and gimcrackeys inside.  The binding, an O'brien Bio, isprobably uninvolved (except to act as a safety anchor).

TW"

What I want to know: is there a prize for first one to nail it?  "Cause I'm just saying....

TW

Well, I've never heard of "Shadowbox" before this thread - I actuallydeduced what the doohickey was based on appearance alone.  Surely that trumpsthe rather simple task of simply recognizing something you're alreadyfamiliar with... no?

Also, if that's an H.O. ski it looks like it's led a very rough life.

TW

1. Bindings mounted on a central rain that is permanently attached to the ski.

2. The boot is closed toe buy has a textile or faux-leather outer. Could be their take on the RS-1 style release. Something other than what we saw teased at Surf Ski (from Wade Williams blog). Or maybe those boots were going to be massively expensive and they chose to go with a simpler, cheaper design and those are the elites.

3. That wire looks like a grounding strap. I'm not sure how that makes sense. Could that box up front be some kind of receiver for a pressure sensor in that central rail that is measuring flex and torsion in real skiing conditions?

4. Could be some kind of release unit. I doubt it, but I know atomic used to make bindings where there was an LCD display on the front unit. I'm not sure what it did, and I don't think atomic makes those bindings anymore. 

O.K. we deduced the Shadowbox is the mysterious gadget... (maybe even with a new slalom program.)

The cable is a safety chain or leash in case the velcro or suction mounts fail...

Shane has found a connection between the manufacturer and parent co. H.O....

The ski is surely a proto type w/o a finished skin. (looks a lot like the 1st proto type Elites that showed up 1st at tournaments)   Could it be the next generation Elite?  

The binding does look a lot like the 1st Rs-1 knock off's that O'Brian made in 2007-2008 that were made in Hong Kong and didn't last in production. So my guess is O'Brian has now got it together on this Binding and is about to begin marketing there own updated closed toe intuition binding thats made in Mexico???

Horton, what happened to the getting warm/cold hints????

• Administrators

Ok you mostly got it

Shadow box, yes

Ski is an Elite that has some extra carbon on top for experimenting with flex.

Binding is an early (out of spec) version of one of the 2010 Elite bindings

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Ok I may regret this but I will tell you what it is.  Its a motion detector so we know how much to tax the rich privet lake owner. the funds will go into a fund to ring public lakes with wake suppression so wakes can not rebound. Thus giving the poor skier a fair chance to have some good skiing.

• Baller

Just to add.

Apple is getting into the action with snow Boarding & other extreme sports

Apple recently filed a patent on a new device that’s similar to the Nike+ program, which measures and records data for runners. This one is for skiers and snowboarders, and it could track everything from speed to vertical drop to hang time. The data could revolutionize how Olympic-level ski racers train. It could also make the rest of us more honest about how much air we actually catch.

Full Article

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/11/apple_developing_activity_monitor_for_skiers_snowboarders_bikers.html

Man, having the ability to see my entry gates, edge angles, cross course paths, speed through the turns  acceleration and deceleration vs. some of those above stats would be wicked cool! Combine this stuff with some video and I'm sure the info. would be a tad revealing or in my case a tad over whelming...  

• Baller

My question is John,

Can you or anyone else (if it is woth the effort) design an input device to log line lengths, boat speed, fin settings, or any other data to corelate to the info we can get from this thing.

Like the previous comment I agree this info would be great next to some video, maybe that would be enough, we wouldnt need any more info than that.

• Administrators

In the end I think we would all like a comprehensive solution. For now you can go to Wade Williams site proskicoach.com and use his ski log. If you wanted something else I have build the same sort of thing here. (Wade has passion for the log and has done a good job so I am not going to directly compete with him unless there is really a different need)

As for an automated solution or integration with video, you need to walk before you can run. Lets see ShadowBox before we talk about the next version.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can