Insole inserts

Donski

Sorry I know this topic was covered in an old post but I couldn’t seem to find it. Some of you were using insoles in the bottom of your bindings for better support and comfort.

Which one or brand works best?

call me silly but, any 'ol decent innersole for about $10.00 will do anything and everything that the more pricey ones will do! (atleast for skiing anyway...) Come on, some of us skied just fine w/o even having ANY padding at all back in the day! Now a days footbeds and/or liners are already padded + adding innersoles.  -Just a thought... 

• Baller
The Superfeet are actually a stiff sports orthotic type insert that supports your arch. They are considerably different from a cushy Dr Scholl's type innersole that just adds padding. Any good sporting goods store should have Superfeet. Checkout the diff.

• Baller
Get the superfeet. As a PT they are the ones I recommend to my patients with foot issues.  5-10 years ago you had to pay the big bucks for custom made inserts if you wanted anything decent. This was always a pain for me as I hated to recommend spending several hundred dollars on something insurance typically would not reimburse for. Now they are finding you get basically the same results for $35 bucks! 

I've had good luck with Zapz.  I got them at amazon.  I don't have any experience with superfeet (other than in a pair of Animal Bindings).  The Zapz were neat because they are custom molded in the microwave.  Has anyone tried both superfeet and Zapz? 

Donski, FWIW, I should get my ZAPS insoles tomorrow and will fit them to my animals. Will ski this weekend and give feedback. I also get sore feet and am going to try these in my daily dress shoes as well. Have used/tried the Dr's. and SF without much success but the ZAPS look like they are worth a try. $55 but what the heck, well worth it if (big if) they help/work. check out h20proshop for info on ZAPS.

• Baller_

I stand on concrete all day, and use superfeet in all my work boots, plus put them in my casual shoes as well.  Years ago, I paid too much $$$ for custom footbeds in my snowski boots, but now green SF seem to work just as well.  I've tried cheaper insoles in my liners and haven't been happy with the results.  For the $35 it takes to get good arch and heel support, it's worth it.

Academy sports (among many other places) has inner soles for about $10.00. Not Dr. schulls crap either... I have Good inner soles in all of my work and athletic footwear and have for 20+ yrs. and have even bought the custom High $$$  ($200.00+) orthotics twice. Decent, innersoles with a Good arch support (that fit your foot properly) Will perform just as good as all the others for SKIING!  -for skiing...

Just a thought - Considering the amount of force that we put on our body’s during the pulling phase doesn’t good foot support make common sense. Isn’t all of that force really being point loaded on are feet?.

I don’t know anything about weight lifting but I am pretty sure weight lifters don’t lift in there bare feet?  

My D3 binding have what about 3/16†of flat padding.

That's a Great point. I'm with you! And $32.00 isn't the end of the world for anyone. Your bindings may benefit more then mine from the Better inserts. 

I wish Andy Mapple would respond to this thread. He has stated within the Last couple of yr's that He "Prefers" NO padding! and that ANY padding only reduces his connection and feed back from the ski... I have some O.K. Low budget "Orthotics" if you will, in my RS-1's. So, I'm Not against them and certainly not 1/2 the skier of A.M. But, for the freakin' 16 seconds dn. the course a few times, I'm more then good with The "Heat molded" liners and the Cheaper insoles in my RS-1's. I am all about "Bang for the Buck", if everyone else has the Need and the bux to spend, then spend it and never Look back. -End of story... It's all Good!

• Baller

I used the superfeet for a couple of years and they worked great....Recently I was Heat Molding new Goode Liners in new Powershell 5's. While hot I  placed them over a pair of running socks that have very padded toes and heels. They really felt great so I decided to try skiing with them. To my surprise they felt better than anything I have ever used before, way better. They seem to make the boot feel stiffer and the ski more responsive.

I immediately went back to Sports Authority and bought a couple more pair. They are made by Thorlo and called "Thick Cushion Running with Thor-Lon." Sell for about $12.00 a pair.

I feel they worked way better than the Super Feet from the perspective that they offered more overall support to the whole foot and not just the footbed. You can also fold the top of the sock over the liner, holding the tongue in place, while placing your foot, with liner, into the boot.

Thanks,   ED

• Baller

FWIW I use the Powerstep insoles in my sports shoes, dress shoes, work boots etc and they work very well (also available through Amazon and $10 cheaper than Superfeet insoles).  I haven't used the Superfeet but these appear to me to be very similar.  They were recommended to me by a foot doc for my plantar fascitis (sp?) and they've helped greatly.  Never thought of putting them in my ski bindings though.

Soooo...  Another dumb question.  I assume you remove the factory padding from the binding and replace it with the insole as opposed to just stuffing it in on top of the factory foodbed?

Ed

• Baller

I put Superfeet into Radar intuition liners and have been very happy with the result. 

I am waiting for them to disintegrate in the water - but so far so good.  At least 30 sets and they have not fallen apart yet (but starting to look a bit worse for the wear).  

Anyone else figured out the mean time to destruction on SF?  

• Baller
Ed, Wiley's removes the stock pad when they put footbeds in for you. Can't imagine being able to get your foot in otherwise, but if you can, why not... especially since Wiley's are such a PITA to take apart and put back together.