visual cues for when to cut in for the gate?

rq0013

• Baller
I remember last year schnitz had an article on some visual cues to look at when deciding when to start your cut back towards the gate and I was wondering if anyone still had that or knows about it. It described multiple spots to align with depending on if you wanted to go later or earlier. Im headed to Bennetts in a few weeks and would like to work on getting my gates more consistent.

• Baller
There is a pretty thorough discussion here: http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1087 that pretty much disproves Schitz's ideas about that.  However, there is a lot of great discussion there on visual cues and gates in general.  As for me, I can say that I have developed a sense of how late I can be turning into the gates and still brush the right hand gate ball.  Others may have other techniques but I think it's something you just need to get a feel for.

• Administrators

I know a lot of skiers use some geometry between the gate balls, one ball and the boat. If that gives you a baseline that is great. Since most of us do not ski at the same rope length or speed every pass, I do not think this is practical. I mean do you have to do some trigonometry every time the rope gets shorter or the water temp changes or a breeze picks up?

I say, get some reference points if you are lost but at some point, when to turn into the gates should be by feel.  

For me, consistent width and water speed before the turn-in is much harder and is one reason I went to a short /one-hand gate.

• Baller
So what Im hearing is that having visual points for when to turn in doesnt work for all conditions and that most people use feel to know when to turn in unless using a one-handed gate- more timing than anything. The only thing I look for is about whenthe windshield base goes through the gate is when I most often start.

• Administrators
I am not sure you can ever say "Most Skiers" do anything the same way. I look at the gate balls and one ball but am not sure there is an exact science to what I do. 

• Baller
i feel if you do not have a reference to pull out for and turn in for the gate you will never reproduce your start. it needs to be in relation to the buoys and the boat. where these points are is up to the line length and your style. i know of a guy who once missed the gate at regionals because he was timing his pull out in practice by a canoe on shore. they moved the canoe over night and while waiting for it he skied well past any point he was able to make a gate. my advice, pull out when the ski platform passes the pre gate, go to the width of 2 4 6 and look back at the front of the boat. for -15 go when the platform is at the gate, -22 gate between engine box and back of boat, -28 at engine box, -32 at windshield, -35 nose of boat, -38 nose but width is two feet inside line of 2 4 6.

• Baller

One handed gate (modified) - I use course references for my gate.  I time my pullout by watching the 55 meter balls and starting my pullout about 10 feet before I get to them (later in a head wind, earlier in a tailwind).  The next thing is to eyeball the 2,4,6 balls and release when you feel you have enough energy to carry out there (the front corner of the motor box is a good visual to gauge when to release).  Once on your way out peek across and watch when the left hand gate ball and one ball line up then begin your turn in for the gates (that is a reference line not the one you want to be on).  By the time you are pointed across the course you will be down course from the gate/1 ball reference which should put you between the gates and a decent line to 1 ball (with practice).  The preceding references should work anywhere you go since you will never ski a slalom tournment without them in the exact places each time.

If you are fairly new to the course and focusing on one or two line lengths boat references are a more definite reference.  Transom platform for fifteen off then move your reference forward the same amout you shorten the rope each time.