Ski Lake Weather Station.

scoke

• Baller

We got our weather station up and running about a month ago out at the ski lake

It has a handheld console that's wireless with an actual station we mounted on the boat dock then it connects to a PC-based program.

Fortunately, weatherunderground hosts-links a variety of weather stations around the country to allow them for public observation. You just create and account and go with it.

The bigger picture map is here. On the right side click on "Levees Edge" and our station comes up or click other ones in the area. Zoom out at will or enter your zip code to find weather stations in your area.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=30.40861511&lon=-91.08337402&zoom=10

Our direct link should be here:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KLASUNSH2

Setting up this system is actually pretty easy. We ordered a system off the internet, got it up and running. Then installed the software, connect to internet and voila! we can check our lake weather from smart phones, internet or any other way. Pretty slick. The prices of the system range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. If anyone is interested in doing their own system and needs more information, let me know as I put together a package before we ordered.

Before you actually go buy your own Personal Weather Station you might want to run a search to see if there's one already in place near your site.  These things are all over the place...

In fact, we have one that is 1/4-mile away from my lake and has proven very reliable over the years.  Not exactly the same as having one right on our dock, but damn close (and way cheaper).

TW

• Baller

Web cam is up next on the list. We are weighing our options and coming up with some solutions for it.

Topography of adjacent land has an amazing impact on your lake weather. There are two weather station locations less than 3 miles due west of our site and then 1 ws-site due south of us.

Our site sits at the toe of the Mississippi river levee while it runs due west to east at that location.

The weather stations to the west of us can show the wind blowing out of the south at 10.0mph, which is un-skiable for us. We'll get to the lake and the wind will be 3-5 out of the west and sometimes even east.

The station to the south of us will show a west wind occassionaly, then we'll be experiencing a south 10.0 down the pipe.

Our lake owner loves having the WS as he'll pull it up on his phone during the work day ;) 

Wind patterns are obviously topography dependant!

• Baller
Gorgeous day at Piney!! No ripple effect for me. I made my -28 look harder than a -41 on my Elite. Hadn't skied since last Sunday due to wx. I got points for cool though going commando. MS pussed out and wore the baggy!!!

• Baller

Weather station is rocking. Unfortunately our water temp gauge isn't but we don't like what it's reading. A week ago it was 74. Probably floating around 60-62 today but will come back up soon.

We have the PTZ camera in hand; jfox is working on the IP address, router wifi issues the next few days.

14.0 mph right down the pipe. ouch. OB will take that though.