What are good gloves these days?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I was using HO Talons (with the lockdown metal triangle) for many years, but it seems these have been discontinued.

Any recommendations for durable gloves with a good grip and as little bunching as possible?

I was VERY disappointed with a set of 4-3-6 gloves I got.  Turned out the palm wasn't even kevlar.  The grip was poor and they didn't even last 1 month before developing a whole in the palm.  Obviously there must be something better out there!

Doubt it matters, but as a reference point my tournament PB is 4 @ 55/-38.

• Baller

If you like HO Talons, 4Wake and Radar have teamed up to reproduce the Talons. H2OSMOSIS have them for sale and say they are better that the originals. I do have a friend that stocked up on some of the Original HO Talon gloves and would be willing to part with them, ufortunatley the only sizes he has are small and extra small. Other than that I use the original HO Taon gloves and love them as well.

Cobber

Clincher has been out of production for nearly 3-years.  The Masterline ProLocks, above, are a copy that was improved in both design and materials.  About the same fit, more comfortable around the wrist, no bunching on the palm, and better materials.

I use the RADAR Storms I love these gloves becuase there isnt any NEO on them so they don't stretch put or pull apart at the seams they are thinner glove almost like a baseball fit, I wish they came with a kevlar palm.... I've heard really good things about the HO 41tails???

• Baller

HO Tail 41's have thin kevlar in the palm which I like. For some reason that same palm feels as little "stretchy" which I don't.

I really like the Radar Locks as far as grip. I would just prefer it in a regular 5 finger design. They aren't going to make them next year so the replacement may be the ticket for me. 

• Baller
I have the Radar strada Boa golves. I like them becuase there isnt any velcro on them and you can adjust the tightness really easy. Has anyone tried the Radar ergo gloves? I tried them on and they seem to fit my hands better.

• Baller

I've been pleased w/ the Radar Ergos...primarily since they don't bunch up in the palm.   While the lime green color can fuel the occassional wise ass comment, it also makes them super easy to find in your boat....   "Function over Fashion" in my book.

I'd also like to give the Storms a try.

• Baller

Thanimal, try the clinchers with a rubber band keeping the webbing attached to the fingers. When the webbing flaps away from the fingers, it sticks to the handle and is a weird feel. With a rubber band at the base of the fingers, the webbing doesn't flap and the gloves feel pretty normal. The dowels do enhance the grip a bit. Plus they make it really easy to get up - just lock onto the dowels and relax.

The dowels do not offer enough grip by themselves for a strong slalom pull. The Masterline gloves felt a bit slippery to me. I heated an icepick and poked some holes in the webbing. Those holes help grip a bit better. Also, when I'm poking holes, I make a hole at the base of the fingers and thread the rubber band through those holes. The longest lasting rubber band is a strip I cut from a thin racing bicycle innertube. 

I paint the webbing with wetsuit glue to make them stickier.

I also rub surf wax on the gloves occasionally to enhace the grip.

The wetsuit glue and surf wax tricks will work with any gloves to make them grippier.

Eric