PP voltage problem

eleeski

• Baller

The PP in my 97 Nautique is doing weird things. It draws down the voltage significantly. Now It won't even stay on while I'm skiing.

I put a new alternator in the boat - better voltage but it didn't help the PP problem.

I replaced the servo motor - no difference. However, when the servo motor was unplugged, the voltage was normal.

A few wires have been gnawed by the rats. Maybe a wire is partially cut.

Any help?

Eric

• Baller

You probably have a poor connection somewhere in the current feed. TW has posted a fix with a relay feed somewhere on this forum (i think).

Do a search or maybe TW can chime in where You can find it.

Ya, T-up has the 1st option for all things elec. and problem matic. The older P/P systems are totally sensitive to any interference as well. Plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor, bad grounds, etc... Your mdv may be about to go out and that will cause interference and volt drops. A short somewhere will cause both at the same time... 

Eric -

I'm having some problems with my Stargazer, too.  The first thing they had me do was run a dedicated ground to the engine block.  That solved most of my problems.  The ground (for me) was in pin #13 in engine harness grouping of wires.

The one that remains is that the system does not engage at 36.  All the other speeds work just fine.  I just got done doing a factory reset, then an auto crs, then input all my baseline rpms.  Not to highjack the thread, but if there's anyone with any advice, it would be appreciated.  PP Support seems to be baffled.

I have an 05 MC PS197 and it's the first year of the DBW - no servo.

Gern,

If your S/G is an older version and you haven't had them (P/P) do an upgrade and your unit is still filtered through the paddle wheel, I'd send it up to them and have them upgrade it (deleting the need for the paddle wheel) and check it out at the same time. (Some of the older versions use a Combo of GPS and the paddle wheel.) About a 2 wk. t/a time.  

Dawg -

I did the software upgrade earlier this spring.  It's on 7.0 something.  You raise an interesting point that I hadn't considered.  I don't know how it would be filtered through the paddle wheel.  How can I tell?  I simply plugged it into the engine harness.  Another lead is plugged into the magnet sensor, another to the GPS receiver, then the other side is plugged into the display.  It wasn't bad to install (once I found the engine harness - which was buried).

thanks!

• Baller

Thanks. I'll try grounding the block. Maybe I didn't even need the new alternator...

Of course what I really need is a new ZO boat!

While I didn't get to slalom, I had a really fun trick set. Some concrete and as many kids as we could fit in the boat and the wake was sweet for tricks and OK for wakeboards. This 97 is the hull CC should retro to. How would they mold in the algae though?

Eric

PS It might take me a while to try the repair. Aloha from Pahukoa house in Kona. We need a ski site here!

• Baller

I grounded the block and the servo directly, no help. I didn't have time to ground the instrument panel, that's next but a bit more involved.

I only show 10v when not running and show 13v when running. Maybe the instrument panel is screwy. The boat starts OK so the battery is not totally shot but maybe a cell is dead? It is an old battery suffering through the desert heat.

I want a new boat!

Eric

I have heard of a lot of people just rewiring the dash gauges.  Apparently, CC was using some pretty thin wire back then.  Why my 98 has been, thus far, immune to this, I don't know. 

Also, did PP come out with another update this year for SG?  I updated last year and no longer have anything from the paddle wheel.  I didn't have to send it to them.  They sent me a dongle that I plugged directly to the module and it did the update in a matter of minutes.  It's been a pretty solid system since then.