course width

epyscs

Right - quick query but one that probably has a slightly longer answer.

I am trying to work out ideas about why i feel narrow in the course (on most passes)? 

When I first tried a demo of the A1 I had no issues getting width.  Along with the width and offside turn being awesome it sold me on the ski... so...

Ski is a 67" A1 - fin is as per settings on here (somewhere) with wing upside down @ about 9 degrees.

Issues are at all line lengths but kills me at 12 when I barely scrape around the ball, often running short inside the ball.  Seems to be both sides of the course, although probably worse on 2-4-6 (offside).

Fin never blows out and I feel fairly balanced through the turn.  I probably move around a touch too much as I am back a little through the wakes and a little on the tip in the turn but not to the point of the ski ever stalling of breaking me.

So I am after ideas for fin adjustment tips or other technique ideas?  (i know its a difficult one with no video)

• Baller
Has there been a significant change in water temp since the demo until now; temp might have something to do with it.  It sounds like you need to free the ski up so you can cast out.  Moving the bindings back 1/8" could be one answer; but, there are other adjustemnts to accomplish the same thing.  Less tip or reducing wing angle by 1 degree might work as well. 

• Administrators
Some skis require greater handle control to achieve width than others. The A1 gets plenty wide but you need to pull a fraction longer than some other skis and if you let the handle out too fast u r cooked. The stock #s r good.

So what is the deal with handle control - is that simply controlling the speed at which you give it back to the boat, ergo maintaining direction slightly longer before rolling onto the inside edge with a little extra pressure on the back shoulder?

I would back up all the way to going into #1. Are you ever early and wide? If not, then it sure could be a warmer water issue and/or a Bad gate shot. If the Gate shot is Bad and you end up late and Narrow the Whole pass will follow that lead. A Good Gate shot is more important then actually making it inbetween the Gate Balls...

Handle control; keeping it Low & nailed to your Hip while still allowing your ski to travel outbound aft. edge change and not giving up your speed or solid connection to the boat.  And "Reaching" a bit  later...