Strada boot - has anyone cut out the toe?

bxroads

I received the Strada boot a few days ago and like I've seen other's mention, its definitely cramped in the toe.  Mine does not have the liner issue I've seen discussed, its just a tight fit.  I'm a true 8.5 and the boot is a 9.  The fit is good everywhere else so I don't think going up to a 10 is the answer.  That said, maybe it is because when I put my foot on the removeable footbed/insole my toes slightly overhang the footbed.  I've heated the liner and got definite improvement, but its still cramped. 

I've seen mention of cutting out the toe.  Has anyone tried it yet?  Would cutting the toe out of the liner work or will you have to cut the boot as well?

Should I try a size larger?

Thanks in advance!

• Baller

I am an 11.5 in an 11 Strada. I notice at bit of toe squeeze when initially putting my foot in, but don't notice anything when skiing.

I did remove the stock full length liner/arch support and replace it with a 3/4 length orthotic. This gives you arch/heel support, but does not take up room in the toe of the boot. Mine are custom, but Spenco is a brand that makes a 3/4 length insert with fair support that is available at Academy. It has a green top and I belive is called the "thin sole." Might be worth a try.

I would not cut the toe.

• Baller
Not sure what the shell material is on the Strada but I wonder if you can get a snow ski boot fitter or shoe repair shop to heat and stretch the toe area. I wouldn't cut either the liner or the shell.

Maybe, as is the case with Scot, I won't notice it while skiing.   Like with any new shoe I am being extremely critical and sensitive to fit.  The tightness in the toe is not excessive, I just feel it.  If I feel it I consider it cramped.

• Baller

OK you got me. I cut the toe out of a Radar RS1. No structural issues but what looked like a small cut took a lot of toe away (too much?). I stayed just in front of the rivets. I sealed the cut with silicone seal.

I am using Intuition style liners. They are a tight fit. Cutting the toe out made the fit way more comfortable. But now it felt like my foot could slip forward out the front of the boot. I was surprised that I didn't like the feel - I cut the toes out of all of my hardshells. The boot I cut up was my rear foot - I ended up sticking with my old hardshell rear. I didn't cut the front RS1 and went with a smaller liner that fits OK.

I wasn't super happy with the RS1 on my ski. I replaced the hard laces over the foot with a clip - much better for comfort and ease of entry. I stuff a tongue from an old rollerblade on top of the liner. This gives a bit more forward pressure which the ski I am trying really needs. I like the boot OK now for performance but it isn't magic.

I switched to the RS1 because I tried Kirk's Z7 with Strada boots and absolutely loved it. Great ski and the best factory boot setup I've tried. I sometimes wish my ego wasn't so big and I could just be happy with stock factory designs...

Eric

• Baller
Did you put something around your toes when you molded the liners. I folded up some paper towels and taped them to my toes then molded the liner. I am a 10.5 in a size 10 Strada and it works fine. Apparently when you go to a dealer to mold Intuition liners they have a toe cap to do the same thing. If you didn't do that when you molded the boot re-heat and do it again. You can reheat the liners a couple of times.

• Baller

My big toe is a bit cramped out of the water, but I don't notice it once I start skiing.  Try different insoles. If your foot will accept it, using a higher arch support will essentially shorten the length of your foot...and may give you some relief. 

I used Paul's method of pre-stretching the liner, and for whatever reason, had better success then using a "toe cap" when molding.   Sorry I can't figure out how to link to the video, or the thread (perhaps someone will help).   Currently on page 4 here , there is a thread entitled  "has anyone had their boot liners shrink after heat molding" .  There is a link to video in the 4th post.