ZO HELP!!!

walstib

Can anyone help me (help my wife) figure out the best setting for a former PP owner?

My wife can not ski behind our 09 SN196 w/ZO AT ALL, yet she can consitently run 28' off on friends CC, Malibu with either PP or Accuski.  Based on other threads, I've tried A1, A2, C1 and C2 wth NO success.  No one else seems to be having issues, but I will do anything to stop the complaining.  HELP!

• Baller
I recently started back skiing after a two year break. I would take any of the current ZO settings over the version they had in 08. Tell her that she is holding the throttle in her hands. Don't load from the outside. Flow off the backside of the buoy. I found Scoke's charts to be right on. Ask her what she wants from the boat and use Scoke's chart to pick a setting. Other thing is it seemed to me that PP has a rhythm to it that I do not get with ZO. I have to be the rhythm maker with ZO. In 08, hated it. Now, dig it.

• Supporting Member

Is she particularly light on the handle?  I was talking with a 110lbs-ish female competitor (who is known to be even lighter on the pull than 110 lbs would suggest) at a recent tournament who had a lot of trouble finding a ZO setting she liked.  But once she settled on B1 she's been feeling a lot more comfortable.  (That also happens to be my favorite setting, and while I don't exactly weigh 110 lbs, I am pretty weak!!)

Unfortunately, ZO is simply different.  Understanding it along the lines of what ktm said above can go a long way in getting a more friendly relationship with it.

Definitely look through the ABC/123 thread that I started (which it sounds like you already have).  I found the information that folks provided there to be invaluable, both in picking a setting and in getting more comfortable with what ZO was going to do.  Familiarity usually leads to comfort.

My wife is very light on the handle, and only skis at 34.  I have the stock prop on the boat as well.....

Finally, I owned the same boat (2007) with PP that she skied her PB behind.  I know it's probably 95% mental, but I want to do everything I can to help her figure this out.  Thanks for the feedback so far!

• Baller
Now that you say she is light on the line, that means that she does keep the ski moving and flows off the backside. That so, see what she thinks about C1. Since she does have good movement, she is completing her turns sooner and moving into the wakes. "C" comes on sooner. 1 spreads the gas out from spray to spray and will not overpower her anywhere. To me, it feels like I am sneaking around the buoys and hiding from the boat. With PP, I felt like I was trying to catch the wave; meaning that the boat set a swinging rhythm.

Is it possible that she's burrying up the boat on her pullout for the gate? "Burrying" being a word of degree here. The boat ramps up, just a litte, but it's enough to keep you from getting free of the boat. This would put here behind the 8-ball from the start, and make it difficult for any pass to feel normal.