RS-1 questions

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

scotchipman just reminded me that I've been meaning to learn about the RS-1s.  Here's a little background:

A few years back I tried Fogmans for an entire season.  I worked hard at tuning them up, because I really like the safety of a complete release from the ski and I had seen some folks skiing great on them.

Bottom line, they didn't work for me.  My consistently suffered horribly.  My belief is that I have too much foot and lower extremity movement, and I need something to absorb that, rather than emphasize it.

I've been using D3 leverage (or equivalent) for quite a while (both before and after that Fogman experiment), and they have been by far my favorite bindings.

Then scotchipman mentioned that he was a convert from D3 Leverage to RS-1s.

So my questions (to anyone who cares to comment) are:

- Is the RS-1 a binding that skis somewhere in between a rubber and a hard shell?  Or does it really ski just like a rubber boot, but with some other advantages?

- How was the transition from rubber to RS-1?  Related to that, is it easy to mount them such that your stance is the same as it was?

- How would you compare the release?

- I actually run my rubber boots looser than I think most "serious" skiers do.  I can keep them on just about forever without cramping.  So that particular advantage of the RS-1 doesn't seem relevant to me.  Are there other comfort or safety-related advantages?

- How are the durability and maintenance?  I really prefer to stuff my ski right into a bag and not think about it for the next 48 hours until my next ski day.

- Given that I am quite happy with my current bindings, can you say anything to convince me I should try the RS-1s anyhow?

• Baller

I came from Wiley's, and now Strada's. no down side vs rubber for me. The advantages

more predictable release

warm

greater lateral support

very comfortable (added a SOLE moldable foot bed from REI which allows me to run them very loose.)

No more soap

I really like the sequence plate as well for fine tuning the bindings.

The main thing my dad noticed when he made the transition from Animals to RS-1s is that the ski turns a little harder and faster. The adjustment was pretty short. They are remarkably balanced in a way I find difficult to describe. Their performance ceiling is very high, but I don't feel like they would be overwhelming to someone with inconsistant technique.

The one skier I know that tried RS-1's and did not stay with them did so because he could not get the spacing between his feet right. Heel to toe was too close, and one hole back was too far for him.  

Maintenece? Check screws and maybe pull the liners to dry if they are getting musty in the bag. Durability? I've seen 3-4 year old shells that look pretty beat up but they are structuraly sound and the liners are still in pretty good shape.

• Baller

I've been on RS-1s about 5 weeks, previously HO Animals.

I would say they are somewhere between rubber and hardshell

It only took me about three sets to transition, the first couple of sets I was turning too hard.

My stance feels the same except I choose to rotate the back boot more. Rotations are easy with the sequence plate.

I've taken several falls, 1 "yardsale", and I feel very safe. Releases when it should and not when it shouldn't.

Very comfortable and I have no insoles and have not yet molded the liners. 

The liners need to be removed to dry or they start to smell. Everytime I take my ski off the liners come out which means I have to put them back in before my next set. This is a little irritating.

If you are happy with your current bindings, then why change?

• Baller

Than,

I went to a Strada front this year and I love it. It is very comfortable while holding me better than the Wiley I came off of. I feel like it gives better control of the ski than the rubber did and there is no messing around with soap. I don't run the laces very tight and have never felt like they needed to be tighter and have always come out of the binding easily.

I haven't take the liners out to dry this season and they still seem fine. They are a little damp sometimes when I go to but them back on. I tend to leave the liner in the binding when I take it off. If you pull the liner out when you get out of the binding you could just throw it in the bag when you zip it up. It takes less than 5 seconds to throw it back in.

I have a size 10.5 foot and you are welcome to try them on if they might fit.

• Administrators

I ordered 2 pair of Strada boots last week and got the wrong size. If you are looking for a pair of size 10 boots for a deal, let me know.

As always, when you buy from me there is basically NO SERVICE and NO RETURNS. All you get is the gear and a valid warrantee.  

If  you want service call Tadd @ H2oz.

Horton@BallOfSpray.com

• Supporting Member

"If you are happy with your current bindings, then why change?"

There's actually sort of an answer to this:  Over time, equipment changes or stops being made.  I can wait until what I have now fails and then scramble to figure out what I want to do next, or I can consider a change to something newer "on my own terms."

(Btw, I usually go for the former...  Was just considering the possibility of being smarter this time! /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif)

My foot is an 11, but pretty narrow.  I'm consistently an 11 in almost all shoes, but sometimes in "equipment" like [snow] ski boots I do better with a 10.  I'll try to remember to take up Chef's offer to put his on my foot and see how it feels.

Thanks for all the info so far, folks, and keep it coming.

I'll have to try these out eventually, but I'm a little wary of them turning harder.  That was a big thing I was never able to overcome with my hard shells.

Tried RS1 w/ RTP for nearly a season. Ultimately I went back to rubber because I felt my foot could/would shift within the binding/liner forward & back and caused inconsistancy in my skiing. Like adding tip and taking it away at who knows when throughout the course. As finicky as ski set-up can be, it raised havic with me. I never knew whether the next turn would be great or a disaster. I tried tightening the lower laces more.....and it worked....but ended up with an unsafe system....injuring my big toe during a release caused by hitting an offside bouy which "stopped" the front of the ski dead when it reentered the water. Still hurts nearly 2 yrs later!

• Baller

Starting my 4th year on RS-1 system. They are probably between hard shells and rubber with the lateral stiffness pretty much like the Fogman or Goode systems, but fore aft movement more like rubber. They are designed specifically for water-skiing and have no parts that corrode, pit or rust as some other systems do. I came off double BIO rubber bindings (very stiff rubber) and still feel I have more side to side control than I did with the BIOs. When you remove yourself from the ski after a set, the liners come out with your foot anyway, so just leave them out to dry until the next set. If the next set comes up before they are dry, that's no issue and I find entry to be about the same wet or dry.

I use superfeet orthotics in mine and have no issues with keeping my foot in the same place all the time. Always leave at least some elasticity in the laces. You can wear them from very loose to fairly tight as long as there is some elasticity left in the lace. Release can be tested on the platform if you have any doubts about having the laces too tight. I have only released twice and both times were non events. I've also taken some falls where I did not release at all and that is also fine. So far they have stayed on when I thought a release was not needed and released when I thought they should. I'll never go back to rubber, soap and cold, that's for sure...