Binding placement- Nationals observation

Skihack

• Baller
While at the Nationals, I watched as much slalom skiing as I could from Girls 2 on up to Mens 3. Alot of awesome skiers in the top of each division. One thing that caught my attention was where the water was breaking on the glide for the gates. Most of all the top skiers, the waterline break was between the front and back foot to just under the front heel. I never even once saw water breaking at the front of the front foot. This goes against everything I have read about binding placement. So, it looks as if one hole back is better. The two skiers that stand out in my mind as incredible in style and how wide and early they skied were Kat Warner and Ruth McCreary. McCreary was incredibly wide and early and effortless at 32 off. Awesome skiing for Girls 2. I think she ended up with 1 1/2 at 35 off, but she lost the handle for no reason. Her 35 off appeared to me to be very runnable even with the tail wind. Watch this girl ski if you get the chance, she will soon be skiing in Open Women no doubt.

Good timing. I was going to make post on one of the boards about this topic. As the water is getting softer I am moving my boots back, back and then back again.

True a lot of top skiers (RFF) are tip high in the glide - but this is the fast planing mode of the ski and we are seeing the effect of the wing pulling the tail down at 7 or 8 degrees. When they arrive at the ball the ski is dropping in pretty well. Some skiers that don't ride so tip high are JT and CP and even JB (all LFF). Jon typically uses less wing angle than most.

I had a discussion with Jack Travers about Jon's setup for the Nationals. It's piping hot in Florida and Jack expected cooler (firmer) water at the Nats. He tuned Jon's boot and fin placement using FM rule of thumb calcs and obviously got it correct! Jon skied to 2nd place ripping 2 @41. If the ski stays under him, he can ski it!

One advantage that we build in the E-Boots is the ability to micro-set the boot placement. I am surprised that this feature is not standard for pro-level binding plates. We use special fasteners to make it work. Small increments can make the difference. IMO "one hole" is too much. I think at minimum you need 1/8". Attached is my ski and as you can see the plates allow very fine adjustment of the front and rear boots. They're dialed!

ADJUSTING BOOTS - E_Series

• Baller
Not sure where the water breaks, but I am at 28 3/4 on a 67" ski. Keep in mind that your inside ankle bone is where your fore-aft balance point is. My ankle is 3" forward of my heel, and I think average is more around 2 1/2". Best to know your actual distance, rather than "one hole back".