first man made ski lake in the world

Dirt

• Administrators

I do not know what you call those dry spots at each at the end of the lake.

I do know that they are older than I am and the boat drives around them.

• Administrators

Radar was one of the very early man made tournament lakes. Horton Lake was first. I believe water was being pumped late 1968. Very soon after Horton Lake was filled Radar, WetSet Village and Thomason’s Ski Ranch were built. The exact chronology escapes me. Within 10 years after Horton Lake the number of similar lakes was beyond knowing.

It is a bit of family pride. In water ski history my Dad will be remembered as the first person to design and build a private ski lake.

• Administrators

NOTE # 2

Dave can tell you that there are islands on Horton Lake #2. I think he tried to remove it with his head once. Speaking of Lake #2, is that were a Canadian tried to remove Dave's leg? I love to hear Dave tell the story about the doctor using a hammer to get the metal rod in his leg... 

• Administrators
Hmmm I do not know about Robin Lake. Have always been told Horton Lake was first lake specifically designed for skiing. Hell, my Dad is in the hall of fame because of the lake. It seems like a bad time for find out it is not true.

• Supporting Member

I would think a very important phrase here is "lake specificially designed for 3-event water skiing."

Otherwise all sorts of "silly" candidates could be found, including the lake I ski on now (Lake Cochituate in MA), which was man-made as a resource for Boston in the 1800s, and has had skiing on it since at least the 1950s.  (Those dates might be wrong, but that's not my point anyhow.)

• Baller

I thought Horton Lakes was the first, as Thanimal said, "lake specifically designed for 3-event skiing" of this pioneering design. If you look at lake 1 there are very few changes to the current lakes being built today. He got it right the first time and in the middle of the Mojave Desert of all places. 

• Baller
Robin lake is the world’s largest manmade white sand beach and was opened in 1953 and the Masters was first held there in 1959. Robin Lake how I understand it was not designed to be lake only dedicated to skiing. Horton - your dad still ROCKS!

• Administrators
Did I ever tell you about getting stitches in my foot with 20 year old Novocaine? The good Dr is unaware that Novocaine has a shelf life less than 20 years. F****ing Hurt like HELL!

• Baller_

The event began in 1959 at Callaway Gardens and is held annually during the Memorial Day weekend.

The Robin Lake site at Callaway, built specifically for the Masters, boasts an expansive pavilion with covered stadium seating, http://www.masterswaterski.com/history/

Yes maybe the term should be more specific! first dedicated dug waterski lake for tournament waterskiing.  Hortons Rocks!

No, no numbness at all.

Heard you were going to be in the area, was wondering if you would like to swing by on Saturday by so i can beat you in slippery slalom http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

There is a lake near me that is very old, but it was not dug for skiing. I think it was an old mill pond from the Civil War era. There are historic markers and some grave sites dating back to then.

The bottom is about 3-4' of silt. It's like walking on a cloud. Water looks like coffee/cream, but it skis great.