Which binding?

tsixam

• Baller

I have been using modified double Wileys bindings for years. I believe that they are among the safest on the market. Lately I have been thinking of stepping out of the Stone Age and in to the future and buy a set of hardshells. I understand that this question is like opening a can of worms..but which is the best set up. The most important factors are safety and performance.

Thanks,

Tsixam

Strada boots would be a good place to start. I find the performance bump hard to describe: I was skiing stock Wiley's before moving to RS-1's. As they are, they are clearly good enough to get through very short ropes. Yet I have not found anyone that was overwhelmed by too much input to the edge: adopters running the gamut from -38' to -15' skiers. They are remarkably balanced, and I don't think I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone that is up to the price.

The release is smooth and predictably: I find them easier on the feet than my Wiley's were. Of course caveat exemptor, your mileage may vary. You can make them very easy or very difficult to release from. If you can take the ski off without undoing the laces, then you're in the clear.

• Baller
I switched from long time Wiley's double to RS-1's in spring 09. Transition took one set. Moved binding one hole forward and that was it. The increased lateral stiffness was immediately noticeable and much appreciated. The forward and rear flexibility and forgiveness feels very similar to a wileys. Comfort is great especially in cold water. Zero injuries. Get the Stradas and you won't regret it.

• Administrators
Radar or New O'Brien are my clear choices. The new D3 TFactors look great if you want rubber. I have not tried them but I like the look and idea of them.

• Baller
I went from Animals to FM E-series with no issues.  Took about 1 set to get used to them.  I have fallen just about every possible way you can imagine and they have release when they should have (especially OTF).  "Knock on wood" no injuries to date, 3rd season on them.

• Baller
You sound like you already made a decision, but I have a really lousy front ankle due to some nasty no/late release crashes.  After a long chat with a guy who sells all of them, I went to the FM Quattro's this year and I'm very confident in design, construction, and performance.  The model I chose was the Whitelines, single plate.  I added the mounting plate after the fact which made for a pricey setup, and required a little tweeking to hit the inserts correctly but it gave me the ability to move the bindings forward and back with less hassle and also put some footbeds in after they broke in.  I've probably come out 10-12 times this season.  Everytime I've said the same thing... worth every penny!