Zero Off Pricing

usaski1

• Baller

Any leads on getting zero off cheaper than $1590 for their 3 event?  I have a 08 DBW Moomba Outback I'd like to put it in. Also, about stargazer, should I even consider, given that stargazer wont be at any tournaments?  Need tp pull the trigger on a speed control system today.  Any oppinions / pricing info appriciated. Im not looking for oppinions on weather you like stargazer or zo. That is a whole debate in its own!

• Baller

PP does not work very well  on DBW boats. As a tricker, it takes too long to aquire speed after a fall or turn to function acceptably in a short tournament lake. For slalom, it worked OK. I don't know about jump much - except drivers had an easier time with ZO.

I know of a few people who converted to ZO from DBW PP. So those old units should be out there cheap. If your prime focus is slalom without any tournament considerations, look for one of these used systems. They are orphaned systems for good reasons but that should make them cheap.

Spend the money on ZO. ZO drives so sweet. No magnets, no setup and right on speeds right now. Your buoy count will adapt - especially with the quality driving you will get.

ZO might not be worth the money on a throttle cable boat. PP is great there and very reasonably priced -especially if you scrounge. For those DBW boats that can't convert to ZO, we need someone to make a manual throttle/servo arrangement so the old PP works mechanically to bypass the electronic version.

Eric

• Baller

Unlike ZO, SG will take a little tweaking to get it dialed in.  BUT once you do that the times are nearly as right on as ZO and the pull is more user friendly to the AVERAGE skier (which is probably about 90+% of us).  High end skiers who ski with perfect form who don't scrap like the other 90% of us do tend to be more familiar with ZO since they have the most access to it.  One downside to SG is if you ski tournaments it's definitely an adjustment to ZO when you don't get to practice behind it.  Sounds like in your case it wasn't an option anyway...  You'll be very happy with SG, no worries.

Eric - I have a buddy with an '06 MC 197 TT running DBW-SG that I drive and ski regularly; his boats times are always nearly perfect and the pull is sweet and friendly.  Of course all we do with it is slalom course, no trickers here in Podunk.  So for slalom DBW-SG isn't an issue folks - as long as you take the time to dial it in correctly.  Simple as actually reading the manual...

Ed 

• Baller

How is it that tricking has an issue with gps speed times, where in slalom, your going much faster and it works? That I dont understand. I am on a 2500 foot tournament lake... actually  2 lakes. PP told me SG updated 5x per second. That should be good enough for everything.  I understand the pull difference, I'll just have to deal with it. Im comming of an old RPM only (era 2003) system, ought to be worlds better than that. We'll see, system comes this morning. Hopefully I can get it installed in a few hours.

• Baller

I don't know why DBW PP works badly for tricks. It is not GPS related. There is something with the interface with the ECM and PP. Usually (but not always for me) the PP will aquire trick speed. But it is always annoyingly long. With ZO or throttle cabled PP the speed is almost instantly set after a turn or startup. That's why I'd like a throttle cabled PP version giving input to the throttle not the ECM for the DBW boats.

Stargazer is nice for tricks as the primary speed input is still the paddlewheel - the speed is just always calibrated perfectly. Maybe the new Stargazer doesn't use a paddlewheel anymore but for my boat that's my option.

I thought you had an easy bolt in ZO option for your boat. ECM replacement is expensive and a pain. PP is a reasonable choice for you. Adding Stargazer is a decision you'll have to make - I prefer PP Classic with a working switch for slalom and saved a few $$.

Eric 

• Baller
I installed Stargazer today. Pretty simple.. toughest part was mounting the guage.. I was fretting a bit at installing the jumper wire clip on my new Inmar motor, but I found the right clip within 5 min of lifting up the motor cover, and clipped it in place. Works great, but I do have to dial it in. I wish it was zero off, but I just cant do the ECM upgrade and the speed control in one whack like that. $$$ ouch.. I was looking at $2500 to do both almost! Yikes.