Most forgiving ski?

bobuna

Of all the top end skis out on the market, most companies are marketing their skis as suitable for beginners to pros. I know it is a taste and fit thing for each person, but on the whole, for those who have skiid most of the best skis out there, what is or are the most forgiving skis/best development skis for those working their way up the 20's to 30's (feet off)????

• Baller
That's a loaded question. You're gonna get a bunch of answers from people who state that the ski they ski on is the most forgiving.  I have been on an X5, Goode 9700, SixamSS,  RS1, Senate C, Elite, Strada, and back to Elite in the last 5 years. Of those, the Senate C and X5 were the most forgiving. I would expect that the X7 woud be right there with the X5 and Senate C, too.  Of all of those, the Strada seemed to be the touchiest. For my style and skiing ability at least, I didn't like it's tip high attitude. 

In the most forgiving catagorie I would put the Connely F1X its the wider body at the top. I've put the ski through the course many times at  15 to 28 off. What I like the most is you can ski a bit slower becauce of the wider body without sinking. I';m 50 and the speeds are getting harder to handle. I have skied on a few high end comp. skiis to me are two much and not needed at the average persons level. For instance I cannot believe the huge diffrence between the F1 and the F1X its huge.

• Administrators

Yes to all answers but .... let get some data here.

Bobuna, what is the level of skier we are talking about. age, weight, sex and such...

No all the skis above are high end and not are suited to all skiers.

In my case, i am in my late 20's, ski in the 20's, 6'3" 205.

i want to buy a high end ski and in all reality, won't be able to demo, so want to go with something i will most likely adapt to reasonably easily. i know i'll be able to figure out whatever i buy, but since i'm buying unskied so to speak, i thought i would get some opinions from those who have skied almost everything. Additionally, i would like to start the season on something new and just go with it.

my original thoughts have been between an A2, X7 and Elite but am open to suggestions.

• Baller

My 2 cents.  If you're skiing at 30 mph or under I'd think a wide ride type ski would be more appropriate than a high end 34-36 mph ski would.

The suggestion above for the F1X, or a Radar Theory, maybe a Radar Senate (regular not C version), maybe an Obrien Syncro, etc.  This type ski will work better at the lower speeds but still require you to acquire the same skill set as a high end ski while being more forgiving at the same time.  Some of the above will take you to higher speeds and much shorter line lengths before you really need to upgrade, and will allow the forgivness to progress more rapidly.  IMO a high end ripper would be a mistake at your level and will make progression much slower and more frustrating.  Leave your ego out of it and go for something within the range of your current ability level that will allow you to progress at a reasonably rapid rate.  Get a high end ski when it's appropriate to your abilities.  Been there...

Ed

• Administrators

Wow MS tell us again how much you hate this one ski from 5 years ago. Maybe I should start a whole other site to talk about the girl that broke my heart when I was 14.

Wait no. Better Idea, can you please get over it. D3 makes one of the best products on the market but all we ever hear from you is how bad that one ski was. If you can go the 3 months with out bringing it up I will buy you a beer next time I see you.

Lets take a poll. Who can ski on the White Nomad?

It made a great ski to launch off the dock. I think Ski Dawg threw it longer than anybody.

D3 makes awesome skis and I grew up on Denny Kidder skis. Redline Graphite, KD CR7 yellow and black (all time greatest ski), D3 Custom and X5. Every one of them is a great ski. I have my wife on the ST. I named 2 of may dogs after them. KDCR7 and Kidder but I will nevr name one after the white Nomad.

"2007 Monza ROCKS". 

Scoke,

My next dog will be named Monza

• Administrators

I was sure the offer of a beer would shut you up.

I think I am going to name my next dog Mark. I can hear it now. "MARK! stop digging in the yard and peeing on everything! Stupid dog. Go lay down"

Careful with that white nomad.... it will probably take you into 39 off. Radar makes a very forgiving ski, I'd be sure to try one of those... I had no problem getting on the MPD, and when I got a chance with the vice it was a very easy ski to ride as well.

• Administrators

Jack,

I generally encourage people to not attempt to reason with Mark. There's an old saying about trying to teach a pig to sing..... the only reason I have not banned him permanently is because he takes abuse so well.

• Baller

I'm a little surprised I don't see more D3 riders at tourneys and on podiums (adults at nationals/pro's).  I have felt like a relative minority at the tourneys I ski, though I don't ski that many.  Lots of young up and coming pro level skiers (boys/girls) on D3's.  I've loved every one I've had all the way back to the first KD 7000.   

Does the fact that they are forgiving create a sense that they are not as "high end"?  Are they simply not fast enough?  Are the pro's so much technically better than us goofballs that they don't need a forgiving ski? 

• Baller_

Ok! Ok ! Enough is enough! The man asked about a forgiving ski! It has been team Seals experinces that the D-3 products are just not for us and are not that forgiving of a ski. #1 Son skied D-3 for two seasons, worst two season in his limited existance of skiing (15 years). Moe: my daughter skied a season and a half on D-3 and mid way thru last season she begged for her Goode Back. Myself the last two springs thought to try D-3 and both times got frustrated and moved back on to the Sixam two point after about 8 sets on the skis.

No For Us D-3 slalom products have not been very user friendly though the company itself is first rate as far as customer service. El-Toro just got a new D-3 trick ski and loves it for toes, heck he may just become a real tricker. AS for A forgiving ski at full speed and shorter lines I am going to have to stay wtith the Sixam and the Goode products seems like their are alot of wide range skiers on them and most are satisfied with their performance. I do have a Radar coming in and have just found and purchased a new  blue top 66" Sixam 2 point. Steve-O and Moe will continue with the skis they rode last year. If we can ski reasonably well on these skis I would say they are very forgiving skis.

• Administrators

Jody thanks for getting us back on topic,

I still say there is no way to answer this question without understanding the actual skier level we are talking about.

As far as making a general statement about a brand, I think that is a little silly. It is more about the designer and the direction they are going. Are we going to hack on HO for the Truth? That is the only product from that factory that I think really missed the mark and that that was 5 or 6 years ago. The current high end skis from HO are all great.

As for D3, I think they make a consistent and non-quirky ski. I only have one ride on the X7 but think it is a great ski for a skier that understands handle control (see Butterfield article). The Z7 I had ripped out of toe side and was solid out of heel side.

There are times when we see skis that are hot and then there are a ton on them for sale cheap. All you have to do is watch Ski-It-Again.com  mid season. If you see a lot of one current year ski, that is a bad sign. I do not think you often see that from D3.

This will make MS freak – I do not think the Monza was forgiving. To me, the Monza lost a lot of angle off the second wake going into heel side unless I was perfect. This is not forgiving. On the other hand the A1 allowed the skier to do all kinds of things wrong on toe side. Super forgiving  on toe side BUT if you did not control the handle and get forward into heel side it turned super slow.

• Administrators

Yea but it is my site so I do what I want. I guess there should be a rule that I am the only one who can say Heel or Toe side

:- )

I would agree that the the Monza is not for everyone. When Eddie left somthing changed. early Monzas were a much better ski but I saw people that could not ski them and 1 set later on a differant ski they were ripping it up. MRS.MS could not ski on the Monza.

Bottom line, try as many skis as you can and buy the best one.