Nautique Engine Problem

lkb

• Baller
My 2009 196 with 343 engine has been having trouble. It seems like a fuel thing to me. It will plane off get to 34, then lose rpm, bog down, some backfiring. It will run at idle no problem. It just happens at speed. I replaced the inline fuel filter and it ran fine for about 4 hrs. Then same thing. I checked the primary pump on the side of the fuel cell and it seemed to be OK visually. I replaced the filter inside the fuel cell also. Anybody?

• Baller

The tank usually has a few checkball type fittings.  There is one that supplies gas to the fuel pump, and some guys have had the ball get stuck in the closed or semi-closed position.  They sit on top of the tank, and the main feed is usually marked with red tape or something to differentiate it.  You can clean it out with brake cleaner or fuel injector air inlet cleaner, or anything like electrical parts cleaner that evaporates quickly without residue.  I have heard that fuel stabilizer can cause this to get gummed up.  Your boat is too new for this, but something could get lodged in there I guess.   I guess a spider could lodge itself in one of the air inlets.  One way to test this is if this happens again, take your gas cap off and see if that fixes it. 

The backfiring is sounding somewhat electrical to me.  Gas usually just dies out.  Do you notice any gauges losing power when this happens?  Sometimes the ground wire on the battery, if you have one, can cause sporadic short outs if not grounded well.

• Baller

Buy (or borrow from AutoZone) a fuel pressure gauge.  Attach the fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail.  Watch to see if the fuel pressure drops off when the boat starts to stall / backfire.  If it does it is fuel related, if it doesn't, it is  likely ignition related.  If it runs ok for a few seconds after taking off from idling then falls off, it is probably filling the FCC at idle then as soon as the fuel in the FCC is used up the high pressure pump starts to lose its source of fuel and the fuel pressure drops, I would suspect the low pressure fuel pump,water in fuel tank, or a stuck anti-siphon valve (which has already been mentioned).

Dave

• Baller
Had exact same problems w/ my 02 196. Replaced ck valve, fuel filter and still had problems. Turned out the problem was the 2" long fuel line inside the FCC. It had a small hole. Replaced it and problem solved. Now I'll change the hose at every fuel filter change.

You said replaced the inline filter then it ran fine for 4 hours then did it again. Sounds like dirt or something in the tank. Pull out and look inside? Should be under warrenty? Or, I bought a new boat years back with similar issues turned out to be the fuel tank vent was clogged with buffing compound from the factory, cleaned and all good.

• Baller_

A lot of good advice here.

One of the things that I do when I have a similar symptom is first install the fuel pressure gauge then I have a remote 5 gal tank That I can install and isolate the boats tank. If the problem still exisists then the boat tank is not the problem. Then move on to low pressure pump fuel filters and known FCC failures. If the fuel delivery problem does not manifest it self with the remote system in place then  I go back to the Anti syphon, pull out the pickup tube, vent clog ect ect. One time a number of years ago I had one that was really a stumper after all the routine checks I could not find any think wrong. Long story short the fuel line inner liner had colapsed and was not allowing fuel to be pulled thru the hose. just try and be methodic when running these diagnostic routines if you dont have the tools or do not have access to them it is best to consult a service shop and have it taken care of their.

• Baller
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I got it.

The gas pickup tube in the tank has a wire mesh screen over it. The way it was made was not helping anything. The ends were folded and soldered leaving almost no area with just a single layer of mesh. And what little bit of area that could allow flow was clogged with gunk.

LKB, We had a similar problem with our 196 Nautique. it was the fuel pump located on the fuel tank. We just tapped it with wrench and it ran great. It may have been the ball getting stuck or some debris clogged up. We have a tendacy to run our boat low on fuel and I think that had something to do with the cause of the problem.

Good Luck

Old post but I am a similar issue with my 08' 196 343. Started falling on it's face in the course. Will run good for about a pass or two then starts again. I notice it worse at 36 MPH compared to slower speeds. Never dies but will fall on it's face bad!

I'm going to start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on. If no loss of pressure I'll look at all connectors, wires, plugs. If fuel pressure goes down I'll check the vent on tank and pickup screen. All the filters were replaced at the beginning of this season.

• Baller
I've had similar symptoms last year and the dealer made change the fuel filters and check everything fuel related and even changed the fuel. Turned out it was the cap and rotor that had not been changed in 400 hours. My engine is a 343 also but 2011. Could be that also. Very easy fix.

• Baller
My buddys 08 PS 197 had a wear on the distributor gear that was causing a similar problem. Only had a little over 500 hrs. Two dealers couldn't figure it out. We hooked a computer to it and noticed the timing was jumping around.

The gas tank had shifted over and was putting pressure on the line causing the line to be kinked. Also the filter on top of the tank was replaced. I will test in next few days to see if that was the issue. 90% sure it was the kink in the line.

The gas tank had shifted over and was putting pressure on the line causing the line to be kinked. Also the filter on top of the tank was replaced. I will test in next few days to see if that was the issue. 90% sure it was the kink in the line.