Karina Nowlan

Skihack

• Baller
Shocked to see Karina Nowlan going to HO sports. Anyone else shocked by this? From what I heard last year, it seemed Karina was the best ambassodor for Goode. She was constantly pushing the ski and encouraging many of the top level skiers to give the Goode a ride. Maybe the new HO is just a better fit for her skiing style.

• Baller
Where did you see this at? HO's website does not say anything about this. She still has Goode listed as her sponsor on her website and Goode still has her on his time on his website. She did tie the world record during her rookie season on a Goode. I

• Administrators

Brent,
I want you to imagine the voice I use when I'm scolding my dog " Bad Brent bad dog! Bad! Go outside"

Matt,
This news broke today. Marketing folks at HO told me there would be a press release within a day or two.

It is interesting that she will have three unique skis to choose from. A2, S1 and COX. In addition to the skis shall have Will Asher, Marcus Brown and the LaPoints as teammates. I can imagine an HO versus Goode rivalry. CP and Regina vs Will and Karina. This could be fun to watch.

• Baller_
Nice to see jobs returning to the USA, hopefully more to come.  I understand that Utah did present a very nice package to entice a businessman (Dave) to set up a business in thier state by offering some value and profit generating incentives.  Perhaps an idea for others to entice more job creating within thier state.  On the flip side, there was a story that the clothing manufacuterer Gildan (t shirts) is moving three plants overseas due to high costs.

• Baller

"I can imagine an HO versus Goode rivalry. CP and Regina vs Will and Karina. This could be fun to watch."

Yeah, it will probably look something like CP and Regina set all the records while Will and Karina take home all the cash http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

• Administrators

Everyone likes to see thier brand win... I think it is good to mix it up. Maybe you guys will watch how she skis more carefully?

When the factorys fight to be the best, the skiers win. Ski design moves forward. I say let it be a blood bath!

Will has many more wins on his A-1 than Parrish has on his Goode and Karina technique looks like she can ski great on anything.

Didn't Parrish try HO and ski like crap?

Didn't we see him on a Sixam painted to look like a Monza?

Don't get me wrong, CP is an awesome skier, but Will has more wins.

• Baller
Keep in mind Will has been with HO much longer than Parrish has been with Goode.

Will is a more consistent skier than Parrish. When Parrish is on he's on and when he's not he's not. When Will is having a bad day he can still throw up a high score.

• Baller

The Monza did not work that well for Will and CP. Will ran 3 @ 41 in the 2003 U21 on a Goode, and was posting incredible scores until he switched to HO. He was not that consistent in the Monza and saw him in the drink @ 38 in a couple of tournaments. Result was worst for CP. 

One thing I know is that skis used to be very different (some were fast, other were predictable, etc...). Now, IMHO, they are more similar to each other. Slow skis are not that slow, and unforgiving skis are not that unforgiving now.I think that switching from one manufacturer to another does not have a big impact in performance for the pros now.

The Monza worked quite well for Mr. Asher in fact he won the 2005 worlds just after he changed skis. 

http://www.reginajaquess.com/Photos/2005WorldChamps/img_5871.jpg 

I KNOW he was very happy with the Monza and his best scores with Goode and HO were similar. He won the world championships  with that 3@41

• Baller

I have to say that looking at Will's skiing objectively he had consistancy issues on the Monza. He skied very well on the Goode especially since he was a very young pro at the time he was riding it. You cannot blame him for the switch. If you are a "pro" athlete and a company offers you a better deal why would you not take it.

His consistancy has improved on the A1, but again there may be other factors. He is maturing as a skier and is a full time pro now with no studies to interfere with training on and off the water.

Will has the talent and drive to do what Andy did in his prime. He can beat you on his ski... he can beat you on your ski. Few humans have that option/abilty.

• Baller

If you KNOW, then that's it.

However, if you see Will's performance in the past years, according to the IWSF Ranking List

Date   Place  Buoys

Oct 05   4    3.25 @ 10.25

Apr 06   4    3.25 @ 10.25

Oct 06   14   2.25 @ 10.25

Apr 07   13   2.25 @ 10.25

Oct 07   4    3     @ 10.25

May 08  4    3     @ 10.25

Oct 08   1    5.75 @ 10.25

May 09   1   5.75 @ 10.25

Oct 09   2    5.5  @ 10.25

May 10   2   5.5   @ 10.25

Oct 10    2    5.63  @ 10.25

So I guess the launching of the A1 in May 08 with Will using it to win the Masters had an impact on his scores, at least statistically speaking. Yeah, looks like the Monza was a 3 @ 41 ski for him, just south of the A1, which sounds like 3 more buoys in his pocket. Not a bad jump at that level.

Maybe he was very happy with the Monza, but I guess he is even happier with the A1...

• Baller

Asher fell on his opener at the Masters on the Monza in '07, I believe it was.  It looked like he riding a 2x4 because he was always sanding the bevels and changing the ski.  Sure he put up some awesome scores on the Monza but seems to be more comfortable on the A1/A2.

Yes, there is no doubt Asher skied much better with the A1 (although  I saw Asher falling down on 4 or 5@ 32 at the Princes Pro Am in 2009). But the statement was:

"The Monza did not work well for Asher [...]. Will run 3@41 in the 2003 U21 on a Goode, and was posting incredible scores until he switched to HO" . I don't understand why ral posted Ahser ranking list after 2005 to prove his statement ?????????

==============================================

Anyway Let's see how Karina skis with the A2. 2009 was her year, won  the masters, world record, incredible scores... 

Karina, don't forget to update your web page!!!

www.karinanowlan.com/sponsors/index.com

I dont know how you can see if someone is consistent with the IWSF ranking  (average of two best scores) and yes I know Asher was happy with the Monza because he told me. Again, we were talking of the switch Goode - HO. We all agree Asher skied much better with the A1 .

• Baller

Leonard,

fair enough. My impression from some of his performances and the comments I got from some of his teammates @ ULL were different, but I guess I might be wrong. Have never talked to him directly, and I guess that if I had, his answer to me would have been that he loved the ski anyway I think.

• Baller
Ok everyone, I had the pleasure of pulling the 2nd round of Open Women at Okeeheelee this weekend and can put all this to rest for you. Karina ran 1 @ 41 on her new A2. 4th week on the new ski, 1st tournament. We had less than ideal conditions, but she skied great! I'll have to look up the other two scores, but I know she was mid 39 off in a very windy 3rd round.

• Baller
That's great, Roger. I was in the boat for two rounds at a record last year when she was on the Goode and she just didn't look the same as she did in 08 and 09. She was all over the place on it, struggling to even get into 39. Good to see her post up a nice score again.

• Baller_

Great to hear Karina skied very well! Looks like we may have a great show down at the Masters as Regina also ran 1@41 on her Nano this last weekend at the Florida Inboards Open in SRB (Cory's). Looking forward to the Masters and watching these two and the rest of the very talented lineup of women in the Masters Slalom event.

Two other real good scores were thrown out their by Chad Scott and Jon Travers With Jon running 4 on the 10.25 line and Chad Running 2 on the 10.25 line twice.

• Baller
Wow Jody. This is shaping up to be a great season for the Women. Whitney is not far behind having run 5@39 at Isles of Handcock a couple of weeks back and 4.5@39 yesterday in the same round as Karina's 1@41 score. Are they web casting the Masters this year?

• Baller_

Boody: Nano of some sort? Sorry I did not pay to much attention to what he was riding.

Roger : yes the Masters will be Web cast.

Seemed kinda strange tho to see Jon on a Garden tool after all these years on D-3, he did ski very well on it (HO).

• Baller_

I Drove Regina's 1@41 and both of Chads 2@41 along with Jon's 1.5 @41. However Chad drove the bulk of the open/ and men Slalom skier's for the tournament and I Drove the bulk of the open jumpers. No really big jump scores to post but other big news coming out of that tournament, Erica Lang Busted out a 8700 point trick run to set a pending Girls 3 Trick record !

Scores from both the WPB and SRB tournaments can be found at www.floridawaterskifederation.org.

• Baller_

Sorry Dont think their was any shore perspective, but just talked to Jerry He will post the run up on youtube and send me the link, I will forward it here and let you computorites install it into the thred.

Cheers!