Improve your skiing with a data sorting capable logbook.

Bud Man

There are many ways to keep up with your setting and skiing progress. I spent some time working on a program that will allow skiers to easily record their data and then sort the data to see any correlation that may help to not repeat the same mistakes or changes, or find something that helped them ski better but forgot it over time. You will also be able to sort by multi-level. I think the sorting capabilities makes this format so helpful. I sent a copy to John the other day but I have made a few improvements since then. I will post some pictures below of some screen captures. Keep in mind that there are unlimited lines to record the data on. I will also send John the most current version in hopes he can make it available for everyone to download. Here also is my email address if anyone would like me to email directly to them. (budlake1 at yahoo dot com) 

Some examples are: 

Sort by buoy count on the first level and ski name on the second level.

Result will show the highest buoy count for a particular ski. You can then look at what the fin setting were for that ski at the time you got the most buoys.  

Sort by driver on the first level and buoy count on the second level.

Result will show the results of that driver in ascending or descending order. 

You can sort by boat, water temp, air temp, speed control settings or anything.

In addition to the logbook on the first page:

There is a page for flex records of your skis.

There is a page for fin setting references of different skies.

There is a Slalom Buoy Count chart on a page.I also included a contact link that will allow users to email me with any questions.  

I took a lot of data from some old notebooks to experiment with and I think this will be very helpful for most skiers of all levels.

Here are four pages. Sone are wider than your screen, and you will need to pan to the right.

http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVkHrf_MbjidRdjGt-_fxtwkkttkkfxMiAxdpKtBCXdbddd-H4g9caMVCBdunJvaIoRgiqJTE_CWbSTurllORAevslRCTvnce/Logbook%201.JPG?psid=1http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pfudH3oksGAQYnRbKKMPdsfmNaHMXkk2y5DPBv3O7vJxKdf-sTNUfnJLcXVuFW-YaCyQpPYyHEkv2lTAM5KhZx42H0ojDOqmO/Logbook%202.JPG?psid=1http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pmtYOBlzxYXMn7yTtjHDf4AUYuFg9ErKM9y0ATfyiWyPM6H2c9SEUhfKHUyqOf_DehZ5K_P_ITgPASzAxC79AFONOt1MAwalx/Logbook%203.JPG?psid=1http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p5uiHI0hs1VBw6eE_AeM72_vARMokZ9DbIJVj3CzvrgnkbLGbKbNnTGC157-h5GhoibCNHpRgJx-4e6T-MHyG0_yUgvTcykSM/Logbook%204.JPG?psid=1

I have kept logbooks in the past on simple paper. I have also used Pro Ski Coach logbook. But they take too much time to search for specific information. With the format of this Excel Logbook, data can be searched or grouped to find anything almost instantly. You can find any correlation between performance and (equipment settings, different equipment, boats, drivers, controller settings, etc…) Again, the power as I see it, is in the sorting capabilities. I am also under the impression that you can edit this format logbook on iphones, Droids and of course your computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this logbook? I did add a column for ski length.

John and I were talking about the Logbook today. He said, and I agreed that some people like a lot of data and some people like less data. He suggested to also offer a simple form with the fin settings on a separate tab. I thought that was a great suggestion, so I have added two more tabs to the spreadsheet. You will still have everything that is in the main Logbook, and you will find two more tabs at the bottom. One labeled “Short Form†and the other labeled “Ski Setup for Short Formâ€. You can assign a name or a number for a certain setup.

• Baller
I've kept every set since 1997 (thanks Keith Albritton) in an Excel spreadsheet with the following info:  date, site, ski, binding, boat, driver, score (total # of buoys), and comments.  Excel allows me to filter any of the data fields.  Example:  if I want to see my scores behind a certain driver, I can sort by that driver and it gives me an average.  Same for a particular site.  You can get carried away with logging of information but I found this to be simple, easy to update and useful for my purposes.

Budman, I noticed the fin settings in your log book from Rossi and Rini for the Strada. I just picked up a Strada and was wondering your thoughts on these numbers. You ride a Strada, right? Ron

Yes sir Ron,

I do ride a 65†Strada 34.2 mph. I am 140 lbs and 5’ 10â€. I started with Rini’s numbers and they were great. I tried Goode fin numbers and they were great. I moved then to Rossi’s numbers and they are great. The only problem I have been able to identify so far with the ski, is the top of the ski as shown in the picture below. Or, to better explain it; the guy on top of the ski.

Paul with http://www.jagersport.com/  talked with me about fin settings. And as I think I understood from him, since my ski is small and I ski slowly, I will not be as affected by fin settings. I think that is what he was saying. You should contact him. He is very nice and informative.

Check out this picture from today. My set consisted of 1-28, 1-32, and 10 -35s. I make a bobble at #2 buoy at 35 off as shown in picture and finished the pass. I finished all 12 passes with no missed buoys and that one pass really was my only bad pass.

You can see the ski is doing what it needs to do. I am not.

http://ldifrq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pkatmwl7A2EnbIkG-GcHCbkIncO_rmuTtAEJhEWc0I1rDhzBoURzpbrKCQ-u7PACU9CZNoEji95KMQhHVHhDx7TD16570uCyp/2%20ball%20blunder.JPG?psid=1

Budman,

Great skiing. My ski is set to Rini's numbers. I'm shorter and heavier than you, 5'7'' 155#, I ski on a D3 RCX 66" Wileys so I opted for the Strada 66'' and Strada boots w/ RTP. I'm no where near your level of skiing but my falls look similar. Total new set up this spring for me. I'm frozen in Michigan with still plenty of snow and ice. I've never spoken to Paul Jager but have bought stuff from him, seems to be a nice guy at least is service is great with lots of email communications. I never skied the Strada just read a lot of great things about it and had to have one. Can't wait to get back on the water. Thanks for your help and stay on this side of the water.

Ron

• Baller

Budman -- that is perhaps one of the best slalom pictures I've ever seen. 

JD -- wow, I'm impressed with your data collection!  I maintain a database of zero.  I do, however, keep a pretty good set of notes about what works when I'm on my ski. 

• Baller

I just double checked my simple but methodical log book. Looks like MS has chickenshitted out of 5 bets so far. Good thing Ms.MS said " BUT Markkkkk, I don't have any money for you to lose!"

Bud, interesting thoughts on your skiing. I watched some of your video but am curious about the comment of "I ski slowly". What would someone who skis fast look like then?  Also, it doesnt look/sound like you are skiing Zero Off correct?

Thanks.

Skoke,

When I said; “since my ski is small and I ski slowly, I will not be as affected by fin settings.†I was referring to Paul telling me that I basically sink the ski into the water more at 34.2 mph verses riding more on top of the water at 36 mph.

You are correct, I am not using ZO. I have PP Classic with a switch. KX normal, PX 10. I think I am going to bump up the PX to 15 and maybe 20, in hopes that that will be more in the direction of felling like ZO. But I could imagine that if it is not ZO then it is not going to ski like ZO.

• Administrators

I need to start off by apologizing to Bud. This winter has been exceptionally busy for me and I have been very slow getting this spreadsheet link so everyone can easily get. In truth I've been slow doing everything and that's another story.

If you go to the front page you will see a link on the top menu that will open up the LogBook. Both the forum and the main site here at BallOfSpray are built on open source software. I would like to encourage any of you who modify the spreadsheet in some meaningful way to resubmit your version for everyone to use. Bud has laid down the groundwork if you can improve on it please do.

As soon as I start skiing for real this year I'm going to be using a lighter weight sheet that I can edit from my android smartphone. One way or another, we as serious skiers should be taking notes about ski settings, coaching, boat settings and any other meaningful data.

I think one of the biggest mistakes we all make to get a tip that is really helpful and not write it down. Or find something that for one ride makes a big difference, but forget it by the next time we ski.

John,

You do not owe me any sort of apology at all. You have a nice project ongoing and I know that I could not begin to imagine all the time you put into critiquing, analyzing and working on BOS.

I appreciate you allowing me to share the logbook that I put together. I hope that there will be a lot of input, suggestions or questions about the logbook. The power I see in the format that I used is its sorting capabilities.