Ribs

Nick Sullivan

Last year on Mothers Day I broke some ribs or did something to injur my ribs bad while skiing. I sat out 4 weeks and started skiing again through the pain. I went to the doc and had X-rays 12 weeks after the injury. They couldn't find anything but the ribs still hurt.

Fast forward to now, my ribs still hurt after skiing hard or after this weekend after getting a cold. Every time I sneeze it shoots right to my ribs and makes me cringe. I've heard ribs can take awhile to heal but is this going on for too long?

Any Doctors on BOS?

• Baller

Many times rib fractures are misdiagnosed clinically. Often what occurs is an acute musculo-tendinous strain involving the intercostals muscles. The internal intercostal muscle is mainly used during forced expiration. During an impact injury the sudden increase in intrathoracic pressure can strain this tendinous insertion at the ribs impacted. The resultant micro-tears and subsequent tendinitis can be excruciatingly painful for many weeks (or longer). Like many tendinous injuries; rest, anti-inflammatories, and eventually stretching exercises.

Pull-overs (heavy weights NOT required) when properly executed can be very helpful in stretching & eventually buiding strength of the rib muscles. Do a “searc†for these types of exercises.

Another consideration is stress fractures. These will not show on conventional X-Ray. Elite rowers are subject to such stress fractures. If you have been training with a rowing machine, keep this in mind.

If it continues to be painful, seek further diagnosis other than routine X-Ray.

Separated a rib once, many years ago, more than 20.  Happened as the result of a water ski crash. To this day I can still point to the exact spot, and it occasionally feels funny. No pain though anymore. But at the time everything hurt, laughing, coughing, sh@#ing, etc.

Very first time getting up behind my new to me Mastercraft 5 years ago I heard a cracking noise, thought it was a vest buckel. 2 days later doc said I tore tendons between my ribs. No skiing for 2 to 3 weeks and still hurt most of the summer, not fun.

Started my PT on the double knee repair last week. Now two weeks in tonight I got 68 degrees of ROM and started with 40 last Tuesday. I'm very happy with progress so far not easy but PT works. Drove my truck for the first time yesterday and no more braces, I'M HUMAN AGAIN! 

• Baller
You might want to see a PT or Chiro and have them manipulate your costo-transverse joints. This is the articulation where the rib comes into the vertebra touching the transverse process of the thoracic spine. Problems here are usually more localized to the area of the joint (posterior) as opposed to pain radiating around, but it can happen. An intercostal muscle-tendon issue is more likely. Still, it doesn't hurt to cover every area you can. You should know quickly if it is going to help by the way.

• Baller

Hey Horton, you trying to start an arguement?  There are 3 things I refuse to discuss with people with whom I'd like to get along.  1) Religion (for obvious reasons), 2) Politics (total waste of time), and 3) BBQ.  Wanna start an agruement there are 3 good subjects.  Besides, Kstateskier and I already know the best BBQ is Kansas City Style BBQ...  /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-tongue-out.gif

Ed

You might want to see a PT or Chiro and have them manipulate your costo-transverse joints. This is the articulation where the rib comes into the vertebra touching the transverse process of the thoracic spine. Problems here are usually more localized to the area of the joint (posterior) as opposed to pain radiating around, but it can happen. An intercostal muscle-tendon issue is more likely. Still, it doesn't hurt to cover every area you can. You should know quickly if it is going to help by the way.

This sounds interesting I'll explore this option further with the doc. Thanks for chiming in with some GOOD information. Unlike HORTON. ;)