what is Mastercraft up to with this new prop strut

Chuck_Dickey

• Baller

Yo jipster, just some friendly response to your comments above -

1. Quote "...I have a hard time telling the difference between my '93 S&S w/ppsg, and any of the other current three event boats (except for style points)."

Amen!

2. Quote "...However, I find it interesting that the folks on this forum buy open bows for their resale value..."

I'm sure there is some truth in that statement. However, personally resale really wasn't a major consideration on my choice of an open bow, and I imagine more than you'd think around with similar mindset. This was the exact boat I wanted once I'd done the homework. I was replacing a similar open bow (2000 Supra Legacy; underappreciated, really good family slalom boat) so I'd already drank the kool-aid long ago. Being a public lake skier definitely enters into it as well.

3. Quote "...Open bow boats increase the chances your boat will swamp in open water... "

With all due respect; that's spoken as someone who doesn't have much hands on with an open bow, lowered-freeboard-in-the front, inboard. Simple drivers skills are all that's required. I swamped the bow of the Supra the 2nd time out with it, in early April to boot (cold). Figured out real quick how to keep it from happening again. It hasn't.

4. Quote "Three event boats simply aren't made for public water... The only time you can take a true slalom boat out in open water is at the crack of dawn or maybe twilight... "

Unfortunately too true. One of my best ski buds has a '95 MC 190, one of my favorite boats to ski and drive. We've done the Dawn Patrol thing with his boat in the rotation since he bought it and it's awsome. But once the water starts getting rough you're pretty well SOL in a boat like that.

If I had my own lake I'd probably have a mid 90's MC 190, or a '97 - 99 Nautique closed bow, late 90's Supra Comp, something like that. I'm glad though that there are open bows out there that ski very well and still work for other applications. Diffferent strokes.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Jipster, have you guys started skiing yet? Our ice came off a few weeks ago, but the lake owner drained the lake to work on the shoreline. I'm getting anxious to get on the water, but it looks like a few more weeks. Might have to go to Salmon just to get some free skiing in.

• Baller

We're not on the water yet. I checked out the lake a little over a week ago and it was still iced over, and we had snow every day last week so.... I'm trying to wait patiently, but we were planning on April 2 as an opening day. Every day that passes now is painful.

Ed - I certainly meant no offense. And I certainly don't have the breadth of experience that most of you fellas have. I was just offering up more of a layman's perspective. This board is kind of in its own little bubble of pretty elite skiers/boaters, and I feel it's my job to dummy down the conversation.

JP :)

• Baller
We didn't use the MC with the new strut this weekend, so I still have no personal experience with it. We did use a 2011 promo MC with the old strut and it was excellent from both ends of the rope as I skied a round behind it and also drove it a round. I'm going to try to take a set behind the new boat (with the new strut) this week.

• Baller
Took 3 sets behind a new MC promo with the new strut and the Illmore engine. Wakes (28 thru 35 off)seemed the same as previous years, but the power was much better. 1/3 throttle to pull up the skier was a major improvement.

• Baller
@smanski That is what I wanted to hear. You and Horton both skied behind a new MC with the new strut and found no issues with the wake, just what I was hoping to hear. I'll ski behind one soon enough, but it sounds like it's either just this particular boat or this particular skier...

I skied my 11 MC WTT last night. I have the 5.7 MCX still, and felt it had a better hole shot than last years boat, as a pulled a few people as well. As far as the wake, I never notice much, and like normal didn't notice anything big at all. I only skied passes at 34/22 and 36/22. First set of the year.... Trick wake was pretty sweet with just two in the boat. I will probably add a little weight for learning flips. All in all it seemed great!! It has the new strut fyi...

• Baller
Just wanted to bring this topic back to the top for a last input. I skied behind the boat I spoke about further up in the thread in our tournament this weekend. It has the new strut as well as the latest ZO version. It simply skied great; I thought the wake was every bit as good (as in excellent) as last year's boat. I don't think the strut made it any better, but it certainly didn't hurt anything as far as I can tell. The other MC at the tournament, also with the new strut, pulled Karina Nowland to 1@41, so I guess it agreed with her also...