Having issues with some of the pages on this forum?

Horton

• Administrators

Time to upgrade our browser.

Chrome is one of the best http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

IE 9 is new but is getting very good reviews by the tech press http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

Firefox 4 Yea I guess that is better than IE 7 or less http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Come on.....

IE7 proves to be relatively stable on 99% of sites & is a good fit for XP platforms.

I have clients the need to interact with secure sites that simply don't work with IE 8 & above.

(Typically insurance companies & companys including Ford & Mitsubishi.)

They also need to stick with XP platforms as their in house software is only supported on that OS.

Surely this forum can be made to work on those platforms.

Cheers

Phil

P.S. please reply within the next few posts, cause I can't scroll down.

(I suffer software Issues too, as part of my day job, with my clients, so I appreciate what it's like to deal with these issues).

P.P.S. Chrome is one of my pet hates...... Simply because of the way it breaks all the ATO's business portals. ATO = Australian Tax Office. So it's simply not a good option for lot's of us.

Horton here....

I’ll answer inside your post so you can see ……

46% of the Ballers use IE

If those 76% use IE 8

I do not like losing or inconveniencing readers but to move the site forward, I had to make some compromises. I have to make the site work best for the most users.

Trust me I have been stressing about this upgrade for months.

I am not 100% clear on the reason IE7 does not get the whole page. I will look for a solution.

XP? really? Google = Evil? Yes but they make really cool evil stuff.

Horton

• Baller

It's pretty obvious from any market share survey on browsers that IE dominates while Chrome has at most 10% of the market. Why would you have a forum that doesn't support IE? (NOTE: I'm using Firefox and not noticing any issues)

I write website software for a living. We program for IE and test with IE and Firefox (the top two browser in use).

• Baller
Just because a lot of people use a product does not make it a good product. I thought most other people in the software game used multiple browsers as a workaround to nonstandardization anyway. It's John's site and he thankfully doesn't charge us anything to use it, so I'm happy to use whatever browser he recommends.

• Administrators

I answered inside Phil's post. I also sent him a message with the new message system.

The part of the new software that I am most unsure about is all the messaging, alerts and activity stuff. I think it is confusing. I am going to live with it for a few weeks before I try to adjust it (pay some one to fix)

• Administrators

that has moved to "Messaging" I will need to write instructions. Not really all that hard.

Top of page click "Inbox"

Then on the right click "Start Conversation"

A window will pop up .... fill it out.

I just sent you a message

• Baller
I found that too. If you return to the discussions page by clicking the button in the blue bar above it does not do it. If you return by clicking the go back button the system does not recognize what you have looked at. For what its worth, I use chrome.

• Administrators
you guys may have noticed that images in posts from the old forum are hiding. I don't really understand this but going forward it is easy to embed images and videos. In the transition between the forums I goofed and I can get back in the old forum. When I figure this out I'll lock it down so no one can make new posts and let you go over there and find your old videos if you want them.

• Baller

John:

Any way to get a 'tool bar' at the bottom of the page so we can click back to the discussions without having to scroll back up to the top of the page. Since I always finish looking at the last post on the bottom, it would sure make it easier to navigate back to the list.

I'm really impressed with the upgrade. Keep up the great work.

Quote:-

"Any way to get a 'tool bar' at the bottom of the page so we can click back to the discussions without having to scroll back up to the top of the page. Since I always finish looking at the last post on the bottom, it would sure make it easier to navigate back to the list."

There's a "Back to Discussions" Link right below the "Write Comment" box at the bottom of the thread. It's on the left.

John,

FYI.

Still getting "Done but with errors on page" in some discussions.

Just noticed it on the cable skiing thread.

That thread looks & reads O.K. Just has the error at the bottom.

Line 8 was the reference. Seems to be permissions related.

/vanilla2/uploads/FileUpload/1/661.jpg

Phil

PS What did I do wrong in attemption to embed the attached image.

2nd edit; Now it is there after adding & saving the "PS" edit.