D3 X7 review?

jwroblew

I've been on the D3 Nomad RCX mostly since 2008, I say mostly because I tried the HO A1 for a few months last year, but ended up back on the Nomad, the A1 didn't seem to get as much width at the buoy, at least for me. I'm thinking of trying out a X7 but can't find any reviews.

Have you tried the Strada? I tried the A1 and then the Strada. For me the Strada was the way to go. Very stable, long sweet spot, gets killed angle if you decide you need it, but does not bite. The ski is awesome and the company and people at the company are fantastic. There is a guy that skis with me sometimes, and he got off of a D3 and loves his Strada much better. The Strada is great short line, long line and everything in between. I would guess you haven’t tried it, because if you did, you would not be asking about a different ski. You would be writing a review about how great the Strada skis.

• Administrators

It seems that with the X7, D3 is trying to get back to the feel of the old X5. Stable, smooth turning and riding deeper in the water. Like everyone else in the industry D3 has been designing “faster” skis for the last 5-7 years. The faster D3s like the Z7st have been very successful but there is a core of skiers that prefer the calmer feel of the old X5. It is not that one style of ski is better, it really is preference.

There a number of popular skis that do not ”feel” super fast. A1, Prophecy, and X5 come to mind. I assume that the X7 belongs on this list. Since these skis ride deeper in the water they offer more confidence and stability at the ball. You may have to change edges a tick later on these skis and may need better skills to get to full width on these skis but they should change directions in a more controled way.

@JWROBLEW

I am currently flip flopping back and forth between the RCX and the X7 right now. I am still working out the kinks on the X7 but I am fairly confident I will stay with the ski through the summer. I am running the fin shorter than recomended settings and with less angle on my wing (36 mph). If you do go with the X7 let me know I will give you the settings I have found success with. I was a BIG fan of the RCX and so far I see the X7 being another great ski from D3.

• Baller
My daughter is on an X7 and likes it better than the Z7. The best ski she had was the RC. She believes the X7 is much closer to the RC than the Z7 was. As with Brad, she is running the fin shorter and shallower than stock.

Ok, I think I am close to getting this thing dialed in and really starting to like it. I have the fin set at 6.915 (tips), 2.512, .765 (flat) and the wing is set at 6.5 degrees..skiing 36 mph

I was having an issue getting angle out of 2,4 (offside) so I added a little length (from 6.908 to 6.915) and now I am turning 2,4 as good if not better than 1,3,5.

Last night ran 3@38 and 5@38 off the dock. I was running the wing at about 5 degrees but was getting too much down course speed at 2 ball @ 38. Moved the wing to 6.5 degrees and now I am able to turn 2 with a relatively tight line

Is anyone else riding this ski and what fin settings are you having success with?

• Baller

I really like the X7. It is super stable and forgiving. The one I have is just too short for me. If anyone is interested I have 1 67" X7 without inserts since I run velcro I will sell at a great price. It also could have the inserts installed. I just had Paul not drill it when he sent it to me.

Marc

Got my ski 2 weeks ago, love the ski, its great! The thing is rock solid, the thing grabs a ton of angle but real smooth, I was afraid it was going to be to slow, but it's not, just as fast as my Nomad, but more stable. First set on it I ran 2 balls past my practice average and third set on it ran my PB!