More efficient wing?

Boody

• Baller

This wing was designed many years ago by Kerry Kaifish, who worked with NASA, and was familiar with aerodynamics. I bought a set of his wings, which came in different sizes, but haven't used them in years. I am thinking about playing around with them again.

I know aerodynamics aren't the same as hydrodynamics, but thats about all I know. You can see he squared off the edges which he said created less drag. He also added the dimples, similar to a golf ball, which also created less drag.

I became curious again about these wings when I got my VW and noticed the squared off edges.

• Baller
Interesting. I bet it is worth a try. I think the dimpling is designed to be where it is to have less drag at the release/separation point prior to the squared off edges. Anyone try the 3 ventral wings yet?

• Baller_
A mechanic talked me out of a 1990's diesel Jetta. 51mpg. And an engine that would have lasted forever. Mechanic kept harping on the bad electrical systems. Man do I wish I had not listened to him. May I say again 51mpg. Hybrid electric?? I'll take the new diesels any day. Including VW.

• Baller
I'm driving an 02 Jetta TDI since new. 51 mpg may be a little overestimated but 46 plus is usual. Has been a reliable consistent good ride. Back to the VW. I am going to try making a HDPE mini. We'll let MS test it!!

• Baller_
wikipedia.org The 1994 through 1996 models of the Jetta had some electrical issues causing the car not to start and shorting to occur in some of the electrical devices due to a non existent plastic V underneath the windshield, which was added in later models. Jetta: on the third generation was Volkswagen Group's 1.9 litre Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) diesel engine. Fuel economy was a strong point with ratings of 5.7 L/100 km (59 mpg-imp; 49 mpg-US). Sorry 49mpg not 51. Ok done with VW. Still wish I had bought that car.

• Baller

Update: For those that are curious about this wing.

I tried the wing pictured above, except I used the larger one, the same size as the Goode wing.

DIDN'T LIKE IT! It was Holy @)($! fast but made the ski very unstable for some reason. But the speed was amazing. Put the orignal Goode wing back on and all is well.