Lightweight skiers

jackski

• Baller

I've noticed that most manufacturers' have fin settings the same for all size skies. I'm 5'-7" & 137 lb on a 64.25 ski.

For me, no matter what ski I have I've always used slightly shallower & shorter settings ( .002-.005") along with a smaller wing with less angle.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it is it size-weight dependent ?

• Administrators

Yea. Everyone has there own tweak for their own reason. You run a little short and shallow. That totally makes sense to me.

I generally run a little shallow of stock & no wing. That is just me.

• Baller_
Agree, tend to do the same and am on the ski you just traded off for that new Nano. I have also gone farther away from the recommended settings with good results on a different ski. Will be interested in your comments as you get used to it.

• Baller

.002 - .005 is very close to stock. I honestly can't set my fin to those tolerances much less feel such a small change. Slot fins, Carbonfins or grinding out a pacman vee will have an effect you can notice. Moving .050 - .100 will also be a real change. Ventral vs big Goode wings will also be noticeable. But the ski will be able to perform at any proven setup. Of course, I keep changing things until I have a good run - then stick with that setup.

Factory settings usually work quite well. Well enough that it is the skier's skill not the setting that determines performance.

Eric

• Baller
I agree with you Eric that .002" -.005" is not much for an average size person 160-165 lb. But I guess what I was kind of getting at here, is that I only know one other skier who is near my size (slightly bigger) and he is very sensitive to small changes also. Both of us can set a fin to .0005" and easily feel .001" changes, while the larger skiers I know seem to need bigger changes to feel it. However, I only have a very small base of people to ski with and I'm old and set in my ways. I ski only 1 to 2 @ 38 when I ski well , so I'm just getting opinons from better than me, like yourself, to try to help others also. Maybe a few of the girls could comment, too.

• Baller_
I certainly would tend to agree that a lighter skier would feel a smaller change as it should require less of a response signal from the ski to affect a lighter skier. I would also suggest that it is very skier dependent, but not necessarily skill dependent. As a comparison, having some experience in this particular activity, there are certain championship racers that have absolutely no "feel" for any given chassis change, many changes that a much less skilled driver can feel. Nigel Mansell was a perfect example, not a great feel or development driver, but could certainly wring the last ounce out of a car in a race. I also, think the different skis have thier own sensitivity to fin adjustments.

• Baller
Very good point DW, and I guess I forgot that angle. That's the old part of me. I know it's off the topic,but I saw Nigel at Montreal a couple of times in his hay day and when you could stand 10' away from the track at the fastest part going into the esses. He was the only one not to lift. The exhaust that close to the track would pound on your chest.