Setting records

rawly

• Baller
With Centurion offering the $10,000 for world records at the June tournament in Sacramento,I was wondering what a skier sponsored by another manufacturer will do if he or she has a shot at it?I'm not thinking that many records have been set by skiers that are not being pulled by the boat that is helping to pay their salary.How about some history on records and the boats that pulled them.

• Baller
I do not think any skier would "opt out" from a world record because of the boat, Jamie Beauchesne did not in France behind a Malibu (although it did not stand later). I am not sure if CP was behind his sponsoring boat in both the 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 @ 43 a while ago.

• Baller

JB isn't a good example. That was a pro tournament, and he is sponsored by Tige'. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Tige' is an approved tow boat.

Now at record tournaments skiers who can potentially break records definitely pick what boat they ski behind. I remember the old days when I skied some in the Southern region. Open Division was Andy/Jeff behind a CC, M2 was Wade and any other MC skiers.

• Baller

@Scot, I believe you are right in the USA, but not in other places. Usually, in IWSF tournaments, there is just one boat brand.

Also, my understanding is that pros do not get a huge amount of money from the boat sponsors (nor from any sponsor unfortunately...) that would justify only attempting a world record behind their boat...

• Baller
I dunno, a $50 - 60K new boat every year gratis ain't chicken feed. Maybe not much cash in pocket but IMHO a new boat every year would constitute a fairly decent level of sponsorship. One opinion. More than they likely get anywhere else. Unfortunately.

• Baller
In the old days, a certain skier would drop the handle 1/4 buoy before he set a record if he wasn't behind his boat. They did fall rc tournies with mc and cc in different divisions. The world pub protour made a rule that records could only be set in a stop. Lasted maybe a year....(forcing the record to be set behind a mc). Most probably have a record bonus still (I hope)