Comment on an O'Brien Seven

Liamfm

• Baller

I'm in the market for a ski. My current ski, a Siege Comp isn't holding up to my level of skiing anymore. I've been lucky enough to have used a 67" Sixam recently and love it, but I think it's out of my price range, even used.

A friend has an O'Brien Seven, 68 or 69" with Targa Front and rear toe (I don't want double boots) that he's looking to get rid of for $350. I'm going to take it out for a spin but wondered what I can expect coming from the Sixam. I free ski mostly. I will maybe do a few runs in the course this year, but basically just free ski. I'm about 6' and 225lbs, so I think a big ski is a good idea :-)

Thanks in advance - don't hurt the newbie!

Liam

• Baller

it is not a new ski, but a rebranded ski Obrien is making. Thought it was the KD7000, but could be wrong there? regardless its old tech with a new badge. If you liked the sixam I'd recommend finding one of those.

you can buy theses 7s new for under $350 so not a stellar deal by any means. the new targa's look interesting, maybe someone has some feedback on them too, bindings are as, if not more important than the ski...

I'd recommend the Radar Senate you look at as well. should be able to find one of those in the same price range. Radar Vector bindings also similar. hope that helps.

• Baller
Wow Jay, that's a very inexpensive ski. I'm apprehensive about jumping on something with that low of a cost. Maybe I can find someone in Vermont who skis it and will let me take it for a test. How would you compare the Senate with the Sixam? Apples and oranges? Part of me is thinking I should save my pennies for a Sixam since I know it and like it.

Hi Liam

I have a blank 2007 68 inch Sixam SS sitting in my garage that is in good shape - minor cosmetic wear but still rides well.

You can have it for 200$ , you may want to check out the shipping though , I am all the way across the continent in Penticton BC Canada.

If you are interested I can post some pics

Have a good one

Grant

The senate is an excellent ski that would definitely be a good choice for an avid open water skier who is looking to start in the course. The reason that particular ski is so cheap is it is an '09 ski. The '09 ski has a different shape from the current senate due to the fact that it is based off of the RS-1 rather than the Strada which is what the current line of skis are based on.

• Baller
LiamFm I believe the siege is basically the sixam with a softer flex and edge to make it more stable. The seven should be a step down from that, and I think the seven sells new for less then $350. The sixam is a very good ski and fairly stable compared to some of the new top skis. If you really liked it, then you should get one. Sounds like Bcskiier has a good deal on one and you could also check www.ski-it-again.com. there is a tab at the top of this page. You can find good deals on used skis there. There are plenty of other skis that would fit your bill also. Just ask on here and someone can let you know how it compares to a sixam. I think you would be disappointed with the seven. Also at your size a 67 would work, but I think you would like a 68 or 69 better. It would carry more speed for you. Im 6'4" 195 and am on a 68.5. I've skied the 65 and 67 and ski just as good, but it is much easier on the 68.5.

• Baller
Thanks all for the comments. I've contacted BC to see if I can get that Sixam. If that doesn't work out I might jump on a Senate. Can't wait to get something a touch bigger then the 67 I'm on now. :-)