Dual Lock again!

clemsondave

Am I the only one having trouble with dual lock? I went 4 years with zero issues using the clear 250/250. Last year I could not get it to stick despite several batches. I switched to the black/black 250 and it worked great. This year with the new ski, I put new DL on and it was releasing too early. I just had all new stuff overnighted. Took my time putting it on. It partially released yesterday on an EASY 32off turn. I have a tournament this weekend so having more overnighted to me. This time I ordered from H2Oz, but they use the same thing I've been putting on.

Details:

SJ3540 (black/black) from itapestore.com

about 80% of the plate and ski covered (should be more than enough), I'm 170#

I apply it to the bottom of the plate. Then mate up the other side to the bottom of the plate. Pull off the backing and lay the entire setup on the ski.

Yes, MS we know how you feel.... Hoping to get some advice as to what I'm doing wrong. I'd switch to a different setup, but I can't find anything else I like. The good thing is that I'm getting proficient at removing the old stuff!

Help!

• Baller
I'm 172lbs and had the same issues as you with 250/250. Realistically, while it might have been fine on your previous ski, your new ski's plane angle, surface area, and where you ride it may not make it fine for the new ski. What stopped me from bruising my a$$ was one strip of 400 on the plate on each side and one strip of 250 on the ski on each side. My ski partner, on the other hand, is so quiet on any ski that 250/250 works fine for him.

I had the same problem earlier this year. The rear of my plate was coming up and off in my transition behind the boat. With new Velcro it got worse. I went with 400 to the 250 from the middle of the plate back and that fixed the issue.......... when replacing, I used the white backed 250. I weigh 170. I completely cover the plate and ski. I believe the new 250 is NOT as strong as the old 250.

Recently I went to a shorty rear hard shell where my heel can lift up in the back. I believe this would NOT have been an issue with my new setup where my heel can lift up freely in the back.

• Baller

Scot,

I have tried 5 strips of 250/250. The problem is it starts working itself loose after about 5 sets. Usually lifting from the front. The 400/250 has worked really well. I am 6'4" @ 220 lbs. For a lighter person 250/250 may work fine. I also always use the Black that I buy from Schnitz.

I use 2 strips of clear 400 + 2 strips of clear 250 on the plate, and 4 strips of clear 250 on the ski. I mate the Dual Lock together on the plate first before mounting it to the ski so that I am sure everything is mated together firm and there are no crushed mushrooms. I have never pre-released using this combination and mounting technique. I buy the Dual Lock Trial Packs from bindingsource.com.

I have never had a problem with the DL adhesive failing and I use 3540 (the indoor stuff). I just have a problem with the mating surfaces releasing with 250/250. The weird thing is that some batches work great, some don't work at all (insert MS's comments here...). Like I said, I have at least 80% of both surfaces covered with brand new black/black 250 and it partially released on an easy turn. I, like Ed, had to cut around the hardware so it isn't raised up.

If you read the 3M tech specs, 3540 has a much stronger holding power than the 3870.

I've got some 400 coming in today. I plan on adding a total of 12" in certain places (back and front). If that doesn't work, I'm through-bolting the sum bietch to the ski!