It's a good time to read Handle Control article again

Than_Bogan

• Baller

And it's still a good time to read it and reread it, even if you don't really get it yet. I realized in the last two weeks that I finally am starting to understand some of the nuances of this. I was telling Horton I thought I did before, but I really didn't. The realization of what @bruce_butterfield is saying really didn't start to hit me until I started working on getting higher up on the boat and matching the boat speed as I turned in. This allowed me to hook up with less load and start with the handle in better control before the white water. Which then put me in a position to where I was getting to the buoy line with so much space in front of 1, that where I was reaching was causing me to be waiting with one hand out just killing my speed. That resulted in needing to reach for the handle and bad stuff happened from there on out. I was running passes, but they were work. And on my offside, I'd get to a spot with a ton of space in front of the buoy, take a path parallel to the boat and go flying past 2 or 4 and having to turn the ski into slack or turning and falling back against the rope. Once I realized it, and started working on how to keep my sternum and core moving out on the opposite end of the handle from the pylon until the buoy line(this is at 28 and 32 so at some point it will be before the buoy line), things started to come together. I stopped digging a hole on my onside(1/3/5) and stopped turning into a loose rope on my offside. I could feel the line tension as I move out off the 2nd wake(especially going into the offside) and as long as I move my core along with the handle as I'm arcing out, I'm arriving back at the hook up with more speed and less load. And a TON of angle on my offside. It's funny what triggers you to come to a better understanding of a mechanic. In this case, one thing I was working on triggered something else.

Honestly, this season has already made me wonder how the hell I've been able to run 35 off. LOL

• Baller
Great article. This is something I worked on with Chet back in the 90's - This seems to be about my default position, probably could be better but its not terrible. Nate is an awesome example of good handle.

• Baller
@ShaneH -- you nailed one of the things that is most important. When you start doing this, you find yourself so danged early that you let bad habits/lack of discipline cause you to reach the handle out and ride waiting for the ball. Having the discipline/convincing yourself to stay connected and at the end of the line rather than "hurrying to get ready for the ball" is critical. Done right, what Bruce says is the real deal

• Baller
My good in season sets are 15, 22, 28, 32 and I'm real happy with that. I first learned this handle control idea at David Spencer's in NY. He would say - you have to "handle" being early. I wonder if that's where @Bruce_Butterfield‌ started to develop his take on it? Which is a super helpful article for all skiers.

• Baller_

@ALPJR, While I did get my start with Dave and Jud in the early '80s, I didn't formulate the handle control theory until years later. I did learn a heck of a lot from Dave and would never have progressed like I did without his help. It was also amazing to be in the boat watching him run -39 in 1984.

I'm glad folks are still getting benefit from that article.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Fantastic article @Bruce_Butterfield‌ ! Yes it was fun to watch Dave ski. I also learned a lot riding in the boat while he drove and coached others. I was always amazed at what he could see - the little things he picked up on while driving the boat - and how he framed it up for the skier. Great times indeed!!!

• Baller
Amen Brother. Allan Hedrick told me a month ago that this was my biggest issue. The article was the second point in the triangulation. This morning putting it to practice was the 3rd point of triangulation. I am a 15 off 29 mph porta course public lake skiier this is exactly what I needed for my next big breakthrough! Thank you for reposting. Horton if you were going to have Stickys on this site this article would be a good one...thanks for the site btw.

• Baller
@ShaneH...those are good points. Can you elaborate on "I started working on getting higher up on the boat and matching the boat speed as I turned in"? I think I get what you're talking about but not sure. At what point is "turning in"? Thanks