A2 Review

Horton

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I think we set it right at 29 1/2 when I tried it before. Will start there and make changes throughout the weekend based on feel. Hopefully it will get here on Thursday so I can ski it before the tournament. Otherwise trial by fire.

You going to Coyote they weekend?

• Baller
Horton wants Badal's 2012 A2. I will have to send it to him after all the drama I have caused him over a borrowed ski. The ski is incredible. I wish I did not make such huge mistakes. The ski does everything right and is very forgiving. The amount of angle it gets is sick. I will send it to Scoke and he will send it to Horton when he is done with the Prophesies.

• Baller

Well, I borrowed Mueller's 66.5" A2 that Dave Wingerter at HO sent him to try. I've got 3 sets in on it and son of a bitch, I don't want to give it back. Stupid, unreal angle. It doesn't give up angle at the finish of the turn either. On the MID I can see the ski tip come around sometimes, set, and then fall back towards the boat a bit. This ski just comes around farther, you get back on the handle, and it just goes. Carryout off the 2nd wake is fantastic. With the same effort or less effort, I am ending up with more space in front of me when the ski starts it's arc back to the buoy.

Settings are:

6.845" length

2.502" depth

.782 dft

9 degree wing

Powershell 5s at 29 3/16

Crap, I might have to get a new ski. Grrrrr.

• Baller

Interestingly enough, I tried the 67.5(29 9/16, 2.505, 6.845, 9 degrees)after 12 sets on the 66.5. At first I hated it. It was just slow in comparison to the 66.5 and felt really stiff. Felt a lot like my Goode Mid. Moved the fin bindings forward 1/8 and the fin forward .010 and it started to come alive. Then moved the wing to 10 degrees and it was a rocket ship and turned as hard as I could ever want it to. Skied right up into 35off at that point. It's got the speed and nimbleness of the 66.5 with a lot more stable spot to stand on and because of that, it seems to be less reactive. I can make it do what I want, where the 66.5 kind of did what it wanted and I was along for the ride. lol At 167 lbs, conventional wisdom would say the 67.5 is too big but it's not. So I've pulled a Dirt and have now confiscated that 67.5 and not giving it back.

I did hear some of the numbers that the HO guys are running on the 66.5 A2 and they're a lot longer and deeper which would probably tone down the reactiveness of that ski that I felt. But with the texas waters being 98 degrees in late summer, I figured the 67.5 might be the way to go.

• Baller

@ShaneH

When you get a chance would you measure your depth on both the 66 and 67. The key being, measure the depth on the right side then using the same technique measure the other side. (find the lallest spot on the curve) I'm asking because my A2 2012 is .010 difference side to side. The side with the factory marks is the shorter side. See what you come up with first. Then tell me which measurement to use. I sent clear pictures of this to HO but got no responce.

• Baller
deano is right, because the head of the caliper is longer on one side. When you measure the other way, the long side of the head of the caliper is the opposite direction. It causes the caliper to be at a slightly different angle fore/aft. If you measured the opposite of that, the long side of the head of the caliper would be going toward the back of the ski. It's not a big difference, but it's enough to throw off the measurement a touch.